Author Topic: Translating a short (Seinfeld-Dothraki) comedy sketch  (Read 15255 times)

killingtime23

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Translating a short (Seinfeld-Dothraki) comedy sketch
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 12:24:05 pm »
Hey!!

So the shoot got pushed to this weekend due to inclement weather last weekend.   Everything is prepped.  The wav file really helped, so thank you again for that.

I'm not sure what we'll end up titling the sketch as YouTube videos often have very generic titles so as to get the most views, but if you had to translate "Seinfeld" into Dothraki what would it come out as?

We could even just title it JERRO, as Seinfeld had a storyline once where Jerry and George pitched a show to NBC, which was essentially the show Seinfeld, (a show about nothing) and they called it JERRY.

Any suggestions of alternate names for this show?  Imagine if the Dothraki had TV's and watched a relatively generic sitcom of this vein.  One word title is best.  I'm all ears.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 02:51:44 pm »
I think the translitteration of Seinfeld would be something like Saynfeld perhaps. I'm not really sure though and Saynfeld looks a bit weird so that might just be confusing as a title I think. I would just call it something generic like "If Seinfeld was Dothraki"
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

killingtime23

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 04:23:50 pm »
Wow, seems the rewriting never ends.  A friend really wanted to jump in and do a scene at the very end.  He wants to be Kramer and pop in.  He flippantly says hi to Jorgo and then offers Jerry some of the game he apparently caught. The scene goes as follows. 
----------
Kramer barges in holding a bloody piece of meat.

KRAMER
Hey Jorgo.
(to Jerro)
Hey Buddy, you want some?

Any chance I could get a translation on those dialogue lines?  Sorry, this will be the last.  Also, I'd like to get your names or whatever handles you'd prefer for a thank you in the credits.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 04:49:40 pm »
Wow, seems the rewriting never ends.  A friend really wanted to jump in and do a scene at the very end.  He wants to be Kramer and pop in.  He flippantly says hi to Jorgo and then offers Jerry some of the game he apparently caught. The scene goes as follows. 
----------
Kramer barges in holding a bloody piece of meat.

KRAMER
Hey Jorgo.
(to Jerro)
Hey Buddy, you want some?

Any chance I could get a translation on those dialogue lines?  Sorry, this will be the last.  Also, I'd like to get your names or whatever handles you'd prefer for a thank you in the credits.

How about this:

M'ath zhey Jorgo  - Hello, Jorgo

Hale zhey okeo, yer zali lekh?  - Hey friend, do you want a taste?

You could of course use either M'ath or hale in both cases if you wish. M'ath is just a simple greeting while hale is more of an exclamation with a little more emphasis and attention grabbing.

"ingsve" is fine for the credits.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

killingtime23

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 07:49:45 pm »
So it took me a while... (I was actually doing some budget backpacking in Europe for a few weeks in April to be honest) but here it is.

It's not perfect, but for such an ambitious idea on a budget of approximately $0.00, it's not bad.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SImMI_P6CEM