Author Topic: Hey!  (Read 5111 times)

Blazingspirit

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Hey!
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:39:19 pm »
Hi everybody,

fellow Dothraki enthusiast here. I'm 22 and I'm from Italy, and being a huge fan of the aSoIaF series I am eagerly awaiting for the upcoming HBO series - as do most of you, I imagine. I am very interested in foreign languages, and in addition to my native Italian and English I have studied Korean and Hebrew in university and Swedish by myself, so as you can probably imagine it's rather exciting for me to combine these two interests of mine through the Dothraki language - and it sounds awesome to boot, so what's not to love? :D

I see we're still a small community, but I predict we'll be getting lots of new recruits as soon as the show airs. In the meanwhile, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Hey!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:56:36 pm »
Welcome.

Yes, we are few so far but hopefully when people hear the language spoken in the show it will bring a few more.

So you're studying swedish? Any specific reason for that? It seems like an unusual choice. (I'm from Sweden btw.)
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Blazingspirit

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 05:22:38 am »
Åh, vad kul!  :D Well, yes, there are in fact several reasons - I am attracted to Swedish culture and I would like to spend some time there to study/work, and I also like the language itself, aesthetically but also literarily now that I am more or less able to read novels in the original language - modern novels are generally quite okay, Selma Lagerlöf still throws me off a little, but I'm working on that... in fact, if you have any particular book to recommend, that would be awesome  :D

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 01:39:27 pm »
Åh, vad kul!  :D Well, yes, there are in fact several reasons - I am attracted to Swedish culture and I would like to spend some time there to study/work, and I also like the language itself, aesthetically but also literarily now that I am more or less able to read novels in the original language - modern novels are generally quite okay, Selma Lagerlöf still throws me off a little, but I'm working on that... in fact, if you have any particular book to recommend, that would be awesome  :D

That's cool. I'm personally not that into litterature. I mostly read popular science or even textbooks rather than fiction (I'm a phycisist.) What I've read of swedish litterature has mostly been through school. If there's one author I read more than others, when we had a choice, then it would have to be Pär Lagerkvist. I also liked Singoalla by Viktor Rydberg.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:46:23 pm by ingsve »
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly