Author Topic: Word for "to have (got)"  (Read 5161 times)

Nhizo

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Word for "to have (got)"
« on: August 27, 2013, 02:43:47 am »
Hi, I just wanted to ask how do I express ownership of something, kinda like "I've got a beautiful wife" or "Have you got any food?" I can't find it anywhere. Is there any way to do it? Thanks for replies

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
Re: Word for "to have (got)"
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:40:50 am »
I think these possession sorta thingies go often little different in different languages, and I have an inkling that Dothraki would often just phrase things in some other way, ie. that they don't have as strong "to have" syntax as English. But there is an idiomatic expression: mra qora (http://wiki.dothraki.org/Idioms_and_Phrases). So you can say "Hash loy hadaeni mra qora [yeri]?" and that should mean "Have you got any food?"
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:21:26 pm »
I think these possession sorta thingies go often little different in different languages, and I have an inkling that Dothraki would often just phrase things in some other way, ie. that they don't have as strong "to have" syntax as English. But there is an idiomatic expression: mra qora (http://wiki.dothraki.org/Idioms_and_Phrases). So you can say "Hash loy hadaeni mra qora [yeri]?" and that should mean "Have you got any food?"

I noticed you put yeri at the end of the sentence. Could you also  use yer near the beginning, as in Hash yer loy hadaeni mra qora?
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 02:12:42 pm »
I noticed you put yeri at the end of the sentence. Could you also  use yer near the beginning, as in Hash yer loy hadaeni mra qora?
No, I don't think so. "Hadaen mra qora" still literally means "food is in the hand". If need be, you probably can make it visible whose hand you're talking about, though Dothraki don't regularily do that, because a hand is an inalienable noun and with them possession is usually left implied. And look, I actually declined yer wrong, it should be yeroon. I've corrected that error half a dozen times but still can't do it right myself.

In Hash yer loy hadaeni mra qora? the syntax just breaks apart. The straightforward translation would be "Are you food in hand?" You could of course correct the syntax: Hash yer qorae loy hadaeni mra qora? "do you have food in hand?" but that seems more than little redundant.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 06:02:57 am »
Another way to express possession is to use the verb vekhat "to be present, to exist".

For example if you want to say your sentence "I have a beautiful wife" it would be

Chiorikemi laina vekha m'anhoon. literally "A beautiful wife exists with me."
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Nhizo

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 10:21:41 am »
wow, thanks a million guys!