Author Topic: M'athchomaroon! Anthropologist in Essos  (Read 4867 times)

maester

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
M'athchomaroon! Anthropologist in Essos
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:11:22 pm »
Hello Everyone!

I am an undergraduate student of anthropology with a concentration in linguistics. For my senior honors thesis, I am conducting a study of those who learn conlangs from sf universes, such as Dothraki, Klingon, Quenya, and the like. I would like to participate in and observe this forum and perhaps the IRC channel to get a feel for the conlang learning process, if that would not be intrusive. If possible, I would also appreciate some personal stories from those of you who are learning or teaching Dothraki (and any other conlangs) involving both the process of learning and the reasons why people enjoy conlangs like this.

I am required to maintain confidentiality in regards to those I interview, so no identifying information would be published about anyone, including screen names. I may post a survey in the forum for anyone who would like to take it (to help me understand trends or basic reasons people enjoy Dothraki), and soon I would like to set up a way for real-time chat with anyone who is interested. You can also email me through my profile if you like. Any kind of information about how Dothraki (and other conlangs) fits into the life of a conlanger would be beneficial for my research.

Thank you for your time and for organizing a space for Dothraki learners to congregate!

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
Re: M'athchomaroon! Anthropologist in Essos
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:27:42 am »
Observe away, as far as I'm concerned. This is a public place. I'm sure if anyone is uncomfortable, they will say so.

I might manage to live happily through ...an interview? I think I skipped the last time someone came here to ask, how and why we're here.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

shanoxilt

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
    • /r/LearnDothraki
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:40:58 am »
Hello Everyone!

I am an undergraduate student of anthropology with a concentration in linguistics. For my senior honors thesis, I am conducting a study of those who learn conlangs from sf universes, such as Dothraki, Klingon, Quenya, and the like.
Hi!

I am a moderator of multiple invented language subforums on Reddit. If you need more participants, I'll gladly let you post there too.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:22:27 am »
I'm willing to participate as well.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

maester

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:33:35 pm »
Thank you for the responses! I will check out the rest of the forum in the next week, and maybe Reddit also (which I have not visited before), and consider what sort of interview may be best to conduct.