Author Topic: Dothraki Bible Translation  (Read 17885 times)

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
Re: Dothraki Bible Translation
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 10:56:31 am »
Nah, I want to maintain any borrowings in-world, so if I were to borrow a word it'd be from Valyrian. Besides, I suspect the Dothraki would have a word for 'pitch' or 'tar' since it's so readily available. It'd probably be related to the name of whatever tree is used to make it, or related to the verb "to melt," or "sap," etc. so maybe fotthaya < fotha "sapwood" or ivisikh < ivisat "to melt."

good point

Considering there isn't even a word for "number" in the current lexicon,  I think it'll be a while.

This will be my next project  ;)

Hmm, so do you think ido can be used as both noun and adjective?

I believe it's a homonym. Ido originally meaning "wood", came to mean "fake". Same with tawak.
I like to imagine it did the same thing as "dumb" in english. Originally meaning you couldn't talk but came to mean stupid over time.

My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 11:09:39 am »
sin - kemven
tan - frakh
cos - vi kemvenaan

kemven = athhatifazzozar oleth athtorgajesari
vi kemvenaan = athvekhizar oleth athtorgajesari
frakh = athhatifazzozar oleth athvekhizari

sec - athrissar
csc - vi athrissaraan
cot - vi frakhaan

athrissar = athtorgajesar oleth athhatifazzozari
vi athrissaraan = athtorgajesar oleth athvekhizari
vi frakhaan = athvekhar oleth athhatifazzozari
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 06:08:39 pm by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 02:12:50 pm »
Hmm, so do you think ido can be used as both noun and adjective?

I believe it's a homonym. Ido originally meaning "wood", came to mean "fake". Same with tawak.
I like to imagine it did the same thing as "dumb" in english. Originally meaning you couldn't talk but came to mean stupid over time.
Ah, no, no I know ido has the second meaning of "fake," but it's primary meaning, according to the dictionary, is "wooden" (adj.) not "wood" (noun). I'm wondering if ido then is both adjective and noun, or just an adjective meaning "wooden; fake" (adj.) but not "wood" (noun).

sin - kemven
tan - frakh
cos - vi frakhaan

kemven = athhatifazzozar oleth athtorgajesari
vi frakhaan = athvekhizar oleth athtorgajesari
frakh = athhatifazzozar oleth athvekhizari
Haha, again, I think we need basic arthimatic terms like "to add," "plus,"  "to subtract," "minus" before talk about advanced geometry.
Che vezak anha os che amovek - Hannibal Barca, ko Punik.

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 06:03:01 pm »
1+2=3 : at ma atak issa sen

3-2=1 : sen ziris atak issa at

2*2=4 : atak san atak issa tora

4/2=2 : tor ki ataki issa ataka

(1+2)-3=0 : at ma atak disse ziris sen issa vosi

1/2 : sachi
1/3 : at senaki
1/4 : at toraki

x+4=5 : ekse ma tor issa mek
x=1 : ekse issa at

3x-4(1+7)=-2 : sen san ekse ziris tor san at ma fekh disse issa atak torga vosi
3x-4(8 )=-2 : sen san ekse ziris tor san ori issa atak torga vosi
3x-32=-2 : sen san ekse ziris chisen m'atak issa atak torga vosi
3x=30 : sen san ekse issa chisen
x=10 : ekse issa thi

pi : sen mra at tor

A=h*w : khado issa athyathar san athvohar

A=(b*h)/2 : khado senkem issa athvohar san athyathar disse

A=(1/4)*n*side2*cot(pi/n) : khado sankem issa at toraki san en san hatif hajaan atak san vi frakhaan san sen mra at tor ki eni disse

A=pi*r2 : khado firesof issa sen mra at tor san athkerikhar hajaan atak

(x-3)(x+4) : ekse ziris sen disse san ekse ma tor disse
(x2+4x-3x-12) : ekse hajaan atak ma tor san ekse ziris sen san ekse ziris akatthi
x2+x-12 : ekse hajaan atak ma ekse ziris akatthi

[-b(+-)|/(b2-4(a)(c)]/2a : bi torga vosi ma che ziris garfoth bi hajaan atak ziris tor san ey san si disse ki atak san ey

*issa is the "to be" verb, taken from Valyrian, in a semi-regular form
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 06:15:36 pm by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 04:48:41 pm »
Genesis 7 Update:

Noah takes his family and seven of every clean animal, male and female, and two of every unclean animal, male and female. The water swells for 150 days.

Missing Vocabulary:
Gen 7:1 generation (a stage in genealogical succession and the period of time of such): athayyolar? < ayyolat + [nominalizer]
Gen 7:2 clean: fis < affisat[to clean] - [causative] = *fisat[to be clean] - [verbal marker]
Gen 7:2 unclean: efisa < *fis[clean] + [negative]
Gen 7:6 to flood (grow flooded): savevethasolat < eveth + [opertive "covered in X"] + [dynamic]
Gen 7:11 fountain, spring (a place where water emerges from the ground)
Gen 7:11 great deep: athaozarof < athaozar[deep, depths] + [augmentative]
Gen 7:11 to open (grow open): ovrasolat, inferred:  ovrakh[opening, the result of being open] - [resultive] > *ovrat[to be open] + [dynamic] > *ovrasolat
Gen 7:16 to shut in: ajjonat < jon[shut, closed] + [causative] + [verbal marker]
Gen 7:17 to swell: richolat < rich[bubble, swelling] +[dynamic] + [verbal marker]
Gen 7:19 mightily (with increasing intensity): k'athivezhofozari[with growing fierceness] < ivezhofolat[to grow fierce] + [nominalizer] + ki[adverbializing preposition]
Gen 7:21 swarm: rhosor < rhoa + [collective]

Zhav

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 08:34:00 pm »
Haesh for generation seems intuitive to me.

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 03:06:16 pm »
Haesh for generation seems intuitive to me.

Possibly, my concern is that since we only ever see haesh used in "Haesh Rakhi" to refer to the Lhazareens, and the Dothraki don't have the most positive or admirative attitude towards them,  I suspect theirs a derogatory connotation attached to haesh when refering to humans. Also I think haesh would better translate to "offspring" than "generation."

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 07:55:37 am »
Gen 7:11 fountain, spring (a place where water emerges from the ground)

I think a new root word has to be made for this.  The first thing I thought of was geyser, and the origin of geyser can be traced all the way to the PIE prefix /gheu(s)-/.  Since Dothraki is heavily inspired by Indo European languages (DJP's biggest inspirations coming from Russian and Spanish), I think a good side project would be to add new Dothraki roots for the ones it doesn't share from PIE. We'd have to contact DJP about it, but I think it would be a good idea to add more base words.

I propose this root should be the basis for gush, pour, erupt, ejaculate, flow and explode.

I'm going to be pulling these root words out of my ass, but here are a few suggested roots that I thought could be plausible sounding:
-kayo (I like this one the best)
-fosh
-govi
-emme
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 11:26:44 am »
How has the translation been coming along? I know that both of us have not been too active on the forum for the past month or so.
My name means butt swarm

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 09:23:27 pm »
How has the translation been coming along? I know that both of us have not been too active on the forum for the past month or so.

Yeah, I haven't given it too much attention to be honest, been busy with school and other things. I did do a rough translation of the 1st chapter of the Art of War, though, I might post it later tonight. I'm thinking rather than doing a start-to-finish translation of the bible I might just do select passages for now, like the story of Noah, Moses, etc. shorter chunks are easier and more enjoyable to translate.

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 08:56:02 am »
Haz mela sekke  :-\. Anha vo maril hoyal che as ha jalanaan (atak ishish!). Qisi Anha vannakhok skooles anni m'anha laz vejervak loy shiqethi ha vorsasoon
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:42:14 pm by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 06:46:33 pm »
Sekosshi! Anha ray'th lir san astosori haji clas lekhi espaniaki majin vo ray nithi tat eshna vekhikh.

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 02:57:36 am »
I'm well rested from the editing (and working) I did yesterday, and now I have a whole morning and afternoon to take a crack at peer editing the chapters of Genesis you have so far. 

edit: I've been reading through your work on Genesis and I have to say your grammar is near perfect from what I can tell.  The only problems that I found were in a few points of grammatical structure.

1) when saying that someone has said something, ki is used to signify who the phrase is being spoken by.  However, the order of the words seems to be left unclear by DJP.  On the wiki page about verb conjugation, the example "Drogo ast ki '...'" is used, but in the short story Dorvi Zirome, DJP puts the order as "ast Dorvi ki '...'".  I changed it to the latter when editing.

2) The use of mra qora as a verb rather than a idiomatic phrase is a problem that I too had up until a couple weeks ago. Turns out, the structure goes; (possessor) possessed mra qora(aan/oon), with the possessor being optional if context permits.  That's just another thing to look out for.

back to editing!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:02:38 am by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 10:14:23 am »
I'm going to have to apologize.

Due to the high volume of projects I laid upon myself, I'm going to have to stop peer editing this bible for the time being. Your work on this was fantastic, and most of this editing was correcting small spelling mistakes and double checking your vocabulary was consistent, but I'll have to put it down until I have everything in order.

Best of luck
My name means butt swarm