The World of Westeros > A Song of Ice and Fire

Valyrian

(1/3) > >>

ingsve:
I was thinking regarding the Valyrian language. I'm sure a lot of people want there be a Valyrian conlang created for the show and right now it's anyones guess if it will ever happen. I think the only hint might be that David Peterson was asked to do a mock up of Asshaii and Skroth (the language of the White Walkers) so that is at least on indication that they are considering other languages than Dothraki as well.

What I was thinking though was that even if HBO doesn't decide to create Valyrian for the show. What's really to stop any conlanger from creating Valyrian anyway on a non-official basis? It seems like there are more fans of the show that are interested in Valyrian rather than Dothraki as well since it's seen as a more civilized and romantic culture.

Hrakkar:
Or, how about the 'common' language, which sounds suspiciously like English in the book and TV show, but is probably something very different....

ingsve:

--- Quote from: Hrakkar on May 26, 2011, 01:39:59 am ---Or, how about the 'common' language, which sounds suspiciously like English in the book and TV show, but is probably something very different....

--- End quote ---

Ya, but there is very little known about the common tongue. It mainly works as another word for english and only a couple of words are suspected to perhaps be common tongue words.

Najahho:
A very interesting topic indeed. I have myself often wondered what Valyrian could be like and even drawn one or two ideas about the language. As you say it is most interesting for conlangers. I do believe they will try to fit Valyrian into the whole project, as it appears in the subsequent books, I think they couldn't get a better conlanger for the job. David Peterson's work on Dothraki was awesome I hope they commission Valyrian also.

But it'd be interesting to know more about Valyrian. I've always pictured it as semi-Britano-romanic in sounds and names, and with something of its own spin in it.

Hrakkar:
If they do create a Valyrian language for the shows, it would be very interesting and unusual. Although I am sure I will check it out, Dothraki (plus Na'vi and Klingon) is plenty for me right now!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version