Author Topic: M’ath  (Read 7965 times)

Verak

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
M’ath
« on: April 25, 2011, 06:42:49 pm »

Greetings all.

In everyday life I'm Britton. Several of the Na’vi langauge tribe know me in person and at least one of them has slept on my sofa in San Francisco. If nobody confesses, then you can figure it out through a game of akathi questions.

;)

I have not read the book(s). I don't have HBO. I'm disappointed that there is no Dothraki word yet for "lurker". I'll try to be polite.

My native language is English.

We can leave it at that for now.  :)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: M’ath
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:10:04 pm »

Greetings all.

In everyday life I'm Britton. Several of the Na’vi langauge tribe know me in person and at least one of them has slept on my sofa in San Francisco. If nobody confesses, then you can figure it out through a game of akathi questions.

;)

I have not read the book(s). I don't have HBO. I'm disappointed that there is no Dothraki word yet for "lurker". I'll try to be polite.

My native language is English.

We can leave it at that for now.  :)

Welcome.

I know Lajaki was at a Na'vi meetup in California so that would be my initial guess at least.

As for a word for lurker. I would guess that it could be a word derived from the word esshey which means roof since everything that is done under a roof is considered dishonest or secretive and that would sort of fit for a lurker (the secretive part, not the dishonest). I guess it would also work to use a metaphorical use of a word that would mean to sneak or prowl or something like that as well but we don't have a word for that yet.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Verak

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 11:55:34 pm »

Welcome.

I know Lajaki was at a Na'vi meetup in California so that would be my initial guess at least.

As for a word for lurker. I would guess that it could be a word derived from the word esshey which means roof since everything that is done under a roof is considered dishonest or secretive and that would sort of fit for a lurker (the secretive part, not the dishonest). I guess it would also work to use a metaphorical use of a word that would mean to sneak or prowl or something like that as well but we don't have a word for that yet.

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the guess. Congratulations! You're the winner!!

To understand things like metaphors/allusions to esshey and the like I really am going to need to either read the books or get HBO. Hmmm... books cheap from library... HBO, ?, not so much...

For now I think I'll stick with Verak. I'm already being too vociferous to qualify as a lurker anyway.  :P

PS: Seems I've made my first careless error in Dothraki already. I *think* I meant to spell that above as akatthi. I'm not exactly sure *why* I'm under the impression that it is a more correct spelling, but oh well... I still felt the need to confess.

PPS: If it is possible to turn on the "Modify" option for posts for which a logged-in member is the author, I suggest/request doing that. Somehow I can never catch (all of) my sloppy errors via that Preview button. I'm sure it's one of my (many) character flaws.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 08:07:07 am »

To understand things like metaphors/allusions to esshey and the like I really am going to need to either read the books or get HBO. Hmmm... books cheap from library... HBO, ?, not so much...

PPS: If it is possible to turn on the "Modify" option for posts for which a logged-in member is the author, I suggest/request doing that. Somehow I can never catch (all of) my sloppy errors via that Preview button. I'm sure it's one of my (many) character flaws.

Well, the dothraki believe that anything important in life should be done under the open sky (they are a nomadic tribe that spends a lot of time on horseback) so in contrast things that are done under a roof is seen as dubious.

I have emailed the admin of the forum about the issue with the modify option so hopefully it will get resolved.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Verak

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:49:26 am »
I have emailed the admin of the forum about the issue with the modify option so hopefully it will get resolved.

Anha chomak. (fingers crossed: both for "Modify" appearing and for that verb being a verb and being properly conjugated.)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:34:25 am »

Anha chomak. (fingers crossed: both for "Modify" appearing and for that verb being a verb and being properly conjugated.)

The conjugfation is probably correct but I can't say for sure since chomat is a verb where the stem ends in a consonant and there are some differences in conjugation there but I would guess that would be more for 2nd and 3rd person.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 01:26:48 am »
Welcome, Verak. I seem to think I know you from another life.....
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Verak

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 08:50:08 am »
Welcome, Verak. I seem to think I know you from another life.....

Thank you, zhey Hrakka. Sek! Yer athjilar.

Memziri

• judytuna
    • View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 07:26:56 pm »
Hi Verak. I think I know you from another life, too. I need a name...

How do you like the series so far?

By way of introduction: My name is Judy. I loved the books, have loved them for years. Got bitten by the conlang bug after being wholly captivated by floating atokirina' in a 3d movie theater. So now I am here.

Mipa kifkey! I can't wait to meet the rest of you... familiar text-signatures with unfamiliar names, and new faces =D

Verak

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 07:33:46 pm »

By way of introduction: My name is Judy. I loved the books, have loved them for years. Got bitten by the conlang bug after being wholly captivated by floating atokirina' in a 3d movie theater. So now I am here.

Mipa kifkey! I can't wait to meet the rest of you... familiar text-signatures with unfamiliar names, and new faces =D

Look up to the top, zhey Judi, there's a name.  ;)

I haven't started reading yet and I don't have HBO, so I'm still in the dark on the "story" front.  :'(

Memziri

• judytuna
    • View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 07:56:52 pm »

Look up to the top, zhey Judi, there's a name.  ;)

I haven't started reading yet and I don't have HBO, so I'm still in the dark on the "story" front.  :'(

Then there shall be a viewing party. I would be happy to host.

To hijack: I'm thinking of naming myself Memziri ... memzir is a bird call/tweet, and -i is diminutive; so: little chirp? hahaha...

You are a traveler: may your feet ever tread lightly upon beds of moss. Green soft happy moss. =D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:03:49 pm by judytuna »

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 01:26:24 am »
Judytuna, I think I know you too.....  ;D

I like your name suggestion, but you might start a new thread so that more people can tse`a you on the forum.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:59:45 am by Hrakka »
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Verak

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:04 am »

Then there shall be a viewing party. I would be happy to host.

To hijack: I'm thinking of naming myself Memziri ... memzir is a bird call/tweet, and -i is diminutive; so: little chirp? hahaha...

You are a traveler: may your feet ever tread lightly upon beds of moss. Green soft happy moss. =D

A viewing party sound like fun!

We're about to be TRAVELING (whãn whãn whãn whãããããn ba’ dahm bhahm!!) to South Carolina and I'll be busy with work when we return until the  13~15th of May or so, but things are likely calmer after that for a while anyway.

Memziri seems like a highly appropriate Dothraki.org moniker for you. Even the Hupa would approve.

Even when traveling I try not to step on the moss. I'm just conscientious that way. And I'd over-squish it, I'm afraid. ;)

Memziri

• judytuna
    • View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 05:14:46 pm »
I uttered blasphemous words! How embarrassing!!! O_O !!!

Safe travels! =D

Hullo hrakka! Time for the guessing to begin...

Edit: Never mind, I found the lion! =D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:49:56 pm by judytuna »