Author Topic: Doubts about 16  (Read 5025 times)

greygandalf

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Doubts about 16
« on: July 31, 2013, 06:18:19 pm »
Hey guys, I was looking at some numbers and, in two different sites, I saw 16 right in two different ways: zhindatthi and zhinthi. Which one is the right? Or are both right? Thanks.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Doubts about 16
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 07:50:32 pm »
Hey guys, I was looking at some numbers and, in two different sites, I saw 16 right in two different ways: zhindatthi and zhinthi. Which one is the right? Or are both right? Thanks.

The correct form is zhindatthi. This number, and the word for 18 oritthi are exceptions to the general rule for numbers in the 'teens (which are usually formed by adding /-thi/). The addition of the geminated /th/ in both of these words moves the stress to the penultimate syllable. This way, these words 'sound' like the other 'teen words when pronounced.

Again, you can learn all about numbers at this link: http://www.dothraki.com/2011/10/numbers-numbers-everywhere/
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 05:20:58 am »
Ya. For all I can see, zhinthi is just an error we have made somewhere and then it's been copied a couple of times.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 01:22:51 pm »
There were similar problems with the Na'vi word tsaheylu. An early, widely distributed Na'vi word list gave the spelling of this important word as tsahaylu. Once in a while, this spelling will still rear its ugly head...

greygandalf

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 03:14:58 pm »

The correct form is zhindatthi. This number, and the word for 18 oritthi are exceptions to the general rule for numbers in the 'teens (which are usually formed by adding /-thi/). The addition of the geminated /th/ in both of these words moves the stress to the penultimate syllable. This way, these words 'sound' like the other 'teen words when pronounced.

Again, you can learn all about numbers at this link: http://www.dothraki.com/2011/10/numbers-numbers-everywhere/

Thanks. I am looking at almost all the stuf on the wiki, but when I saw it written differently on dothraki.com, I didn't know what to follow. I'm paying atention for any little mistakes  ;).

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 01:36:30 pm »
Dothraki.com is definitely authoritative, as David Peterson is the language's creator, and this is his blog. If you do see a difference or something not completely clear, please bring it to our attention. These little bugs do need to be fixed!