Author Topic: I think it would be nice for a general chat the be kept....  (Read 16126 times)

Halahhi

• Anha torga essheyi
    • View Profile
I think it would be nice for a general chat the be kept....
« on: November 12, 2012, 05:51:41 am »
M'athchomaroon!

Hash yer dothrae chek asshekh? Anha dothrak chek asshekh

i think the more chat that happens generally as well as it being people asking for help it will bring in more people and get other memebers back, i was unsure to join because it seemed quiet but if there was more general chat so friends are made as well as helper i think that would do better :)

so i think everyone should get to know each other more and become friends etc

thought this might be a good thread too :)

so yeh...
i chose my dothraki name to be Halahhi means she who is like flower :) rather pretty
my real name is Rhiannon welsh so similar language to dothraki it helped me knowing welsh when learning dothraki
im 20 live in England (though does say on my profile)

anyone else?

Dothras chek

Havazhyol

• Athdrivar vos annakhoo !
    • View Profile
Re: I think it would be nice for a general chat the be kept....
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:33:17 am »
M'ath, zhey Halahhi (yer zheanae).

Anha dothras chek akka.

If I had to take a Dothraki name, I would translate my own from its celtic origin : Morgan = Sea born which would be Havazhyol.

I'm 27, french, and I reaaaally work on dothraki speaking, accent and stuff, cause it's really fun to see the faces of my coworkers when they piss me off... (plus we french have a bad reputation about accent in foreign speechs, so I try to prove it's not general)

I speak french (duh!), English (pretty well, I think), a bit of german, japanese, some polite words (more or less ::) ) from italian, portuguese, chinese, spanish, literary Arabic.

About conlang, I can merly speak some qenya, khuzdul and black speech, but it's not easy since no one agrees on the grammar. I never tried Naavi, or Klingon (the Federation is not really popular in my country), but I can recognize them.

And I'm done !

Hajas !
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:49:44 am by NagromNoruas »
I'm back !!

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 10:44:29 am »
M'ath, zhey Halahhi (yer zheanae).

Anha dothras chek akka.

If I had to take a Dothraki name, I would translate my own from its celtic origin : Morgan = Sea born which would be Havazhyol.

I'm 27, french, and I reaaaally work on dothraki speaking, accent and stuff, cause it's really fun to see the faces of my coworkers when they piss me off... (plus we french have a bad reputation about accent in foreign speechs, so I try to prove it's not general)

I speak french (duh!), English (pretty well, I think), a bit of german, japanese, some polite words (more or less ::) ) from italian, portuguese, chinese, spanish, literary Arabic.

About conlang, I can merly speak some qenya, khuzdul and black speech, but it's not easy since no one agrees on the grammar. I never tried Naavi, or Klingon (the Federation is not really popular in my country), but I can recognize them.

And I'm done !

Hajas !

Well it stands to reason that no one agrees about the grammar of Khuzdul and the Black Speech, since they have none. We only have very little phrases... in fact we have the Ring inscription and the "cess-pool" bit for the Black Speech and they don't even seem to be exactly the same language (maybe formal and informal or modern and ancient) and Khuzdul only the "the dwarves are upon you". About Quenya you do have more grammar, but again it all depends on what period you mean to study... so that gets all things complicated.

Last time I went to the US I bought the Klingon book, it was so much fun, because as it happens with you, here the Klingons are very much unknown too!
Athhajar vidrie anna ayyey

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 11:01:18 am »
M'athchomaroon!

Hash yer dothrae chek asshekh? Anha dothrak chek asshekh

i think the more chat that happens generally as well as it being people asking for help it will bring in more people and get other memebers back, i was unsure to join because it seemed quiet but if there was more general chat so friends are made as well as helper i think that would do better :)

so i think everyone should get to know each other more and become friends etc

thought this might be a good thread too :)

so yeh...
i chose my dothraki name to be Halahhi means she who is like flower :) rather pretty
my real name is Rhiannon welsh so similar language to dothraki it helped me knowing welsh when learning dothraki

anyone else?

Dothras chek

I agree that it would be nice to get some more activity on the forums. It has gotten a bit better in the past month though. Before that it could go months without much posted at all.

Most of the socializing seems to happen on the IRC chat where we meet every monday night (7 pm PST) which is in the middle of the night in Europe (4am CET).

To follow your lead:

I'm ingsve and I guess I'm the oldest one here now since the original instigator Lajaki has taken a step back from conlangs.

I live in Sweden and I'm in physicist and not a linguest but I've learnt a lot while helping to build the wiki. My interest in GRRMs world goes back a long time from when I was a regular player of the Collectible Card Game "A Game of Thrones" based on the books. I've also been fascinated by created languages ever since I heard about Esperanto when I was younger. When they announced they were creating a Dothraki language saw my chance to combine my curiosity for conlangs with my interest in GRRMs world.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 11:44:59 am »

anyone else?

Dothras chek

I think Welsh is quite different from Dothraki. It has a very beautiful sound to it too.

Halahhi

• Anha torga essheyi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 03:52:28 am »

anyone else?

Dothras chek

I think Welsh is quite different from Dothraki. It has a very beautiful sound to it too.

It's rather a throaty language (or how my welsh mother says spitty) haha can be beautiful but nothing like Latin languages like French and Spanish etc
Very nice to talk to everyone if I didn't have work I'd join the chat but since I'm eu 4am is sleep time haha but shall try once in awhile.
Ingsve it's nice to hear about you as seems you have done a lot of work to make this all possible

Havazhyol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 04:48:00 am »

I agree that it would be nice to get some more activity on the forums. It has gotten a bit better in the past month though. Before that it could go months without much posted at all.

Most of the socializing seems to happen on the IRC chat where we meet every monday night (7 pm PST) which is in the middle of the night in Europe (4am CET).

I mentioned dothraki.org, the forum, and dothraki.com in a topic of a french "geek" forum. Maybe it'll bring new folks.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:39:25 am by Havazhyol »
I'm back !!

Halahhi

• Anha torga essheyi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:25:19 am »

I mentioned dothraki.org, the forum, and dothraki.com in a topic of a french "geek" forum. Maybe it'll bring new folks.

nice to have people from around the world and with the different languages. Can always help by translating the english meanings of dothraki words into french for people or other languages im very bilingual

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 10:48:58 am »
Ingsve it's nice to hear about you as seems you have done a lot of work to make this all possible

Thanks. I can't take all the credit though. Lajaki did the leg work of setting things up initially and Qvaak has helped a lot with adding content to the wiki. Hrakkar and Daenerys has also done a lot of work.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 11:16:48 am »
I would like to contribute translating the dictionary into Spanish or something.

Halahhi

• Anha torga essheyi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 11:28:18 am »

Thanks. I can't take all the credit though. Lajaki did the leg work of setting things up initially and Qvaak has helped a lot with adding content to the wiki. Hrakkar and Daenerys has also done a lot of work.

Well im greatly appreciative of all of you and like i said willing to help

Havazhyol

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 12:31:42 pm »
I'd love to help on the french one.

Even if I find it easier to first translate in english and then in dothraki. Plus all the cool stuffs to translate are mostly in english.

Like this quote :

- Vos! Anha avees yeri!
- Vosecchiiiiiiiii...
   (Admiral Ingsve will immediatly see what it is...)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:51:25 pm by Havazhyol »
I'm back !!

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 02:42:56 pm »
Like this quote :

- Vos! Anha avees yeri!
- Vosecchiiiiiiiii...
   (Admiral Ingsve will immediatly see what it is...)

Hehe!!  ;)
This is actually an interesting sentence, because it has no verb.

If you are really serious about translating the dictionary into another language (and I do mean 'really serious' as it does require a real time commitment, especially at first), I can arrange with the dictionary backend manager to set up a dictionary framework in Spanish, French, or any other language you choose. For examples, go look at the various Na'vi dictionaries, as the same software (Eana Eltu/Blue Brain) is used to create both dictionaries. The English dictionary is the master dictionary, and would pre-populate a lot of fields in the other language dictionaries. The person responsible for the alternate language then just has to add the definition, and any other needed notes.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 03:00:06 pm »
This is actually an interesting sentence, because it has no verb.

Well, it just comes from the fact that Dothraki has no copula so any sentence that just uses a copula in English would have no verb in Dothraki.

Anha mahrazhgale!
Mori mahrazhgali!
Anha ivezhvorto!
Kokokacho!

Havazhyol

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 12:01:05 am »

If you are really serious about translating the dictionary into another language (and I do mean 'really serious' as it does require a real time commitment, especially at first), I can arrange with the dictionary backend manager to set up a dictionary framework in Spanish, French, or any other language you choose. For examples, go look at the various Na'vi dictionaries, as the same software (Eana Eltu/Blue Brain) is used to create both dictionaries. The English dictionary is the master dictionary, and would pre-populate a lot of fields in the other language dictionaries. The person responsible for the alternate language then just has to add the definition, and any other needed notes.

Got some link for the dictionnary?

Fin oses kisha'th silaki?
I'm back !!