Learn Dothraki > Dothraki Language Updates

The dothraki language wiki site.

<< < (2/6) > >>

ValekLost:
I've corrected this part in the Wiki, about verb conjugation:

--- Quote ---For verbs that begin with a vowel the prefix /a-/ is added and for verbs that begin with a vowel the prefix is instead /v-/.
--- End quote ---

With

--- Quote ---For verbs that begin with a consonant the prefix /a-/ is added and for verbs that begin with a vowel the prefix is instead /v-/.
--- End quote ---

;)

ingsve:
Nice catch. Thanks.

ValekLost:
Example: Hrazef vezh. "The horse is a stallion" (literally "horse steed")
Example: Hrazef vezhoon. "The horse was a stallion" (literally "horse from steed")
Example: Hrazef vezhaan. "The horse will be a stallion" (literally "horse towards steed")

I was wondering if it would be better to change "steed" with "stallion", in the syntax page, given that "steed" is "sajo" and not "vezh" that is literally, in fact, the stallion as "male horse".
It's a very little thing, but I think it would be more precise, unless I'm missing something about meanings <.<

If it's ok, I'll correct :D

In the Idiom section, in the wiki, shoud be added "adoroon shiqethi" (iron chair) for "throne" and "rhaggat eveth" (water cart) for "ship" ?

Last thing, I swear :P

Reading the dialogues, I noticed that "Kash qoy qoyi thira disse" is said in various moments. Could it be a sort of idiomatic phrase to say something beyond the literal meaning?
Qotho said it while talking with Jorah about the future death of Drogo and it would be quite literal I think..but the "random dothraki" in episode 3, said it to the slave he was whipping, and Rakharo said it to Mago while trying to stop him from abusing the Lazhareen women, as asked by Dany.
Could be a sort of "I can do this until my Khal lives" as "I've the power to do this and you have to shut up/to do what I say you have to do"?  :o

ingsve:

--- Quote from: ValekLost on June 23, 2011, 02:22:50 am ---Example: Hrazef vezh. "The horse is a stallion" (literally "horse steed")
Example: Hrazef vezhoon. "The horse was a stallion" (literally "horse from steed")
Example: Hrazef vezhaan. "The horse will be a stallion" (literally "horse towards steed")

I was wondering if it would be better to change "steed" with "stallion", in the syntax page, given that "steed" is "sajo" and not "vezh" that is literally, in fact, the stallion as "male horse".
It's a very little thing, but I think it would be more precise, unless I'm missing something about meanings <.<

If it's ok, I'll correct :D

In the Idiom section, in the wiki, shoud be added "adoroon shiqethi" (iron chair) for "throne" and "rhaggat eveth" (water cart) for "ship" ?

Last thing, I swear :P

Reading the dialogues, I noticed that "Kash qoy qoyi thira disse" is said in various moments. Could it be a sort of idiomatic phrase to say something beyond the literal meaning?
Qotho said it while talking with Jorah about the future death of Drogo and it would be quite literal I think..but the "random dothraki" in episode 3, said it to the slave he was whipping, and Rakharo said it to Mago while trying to stop him from abusing the Lazhareen women, as asked by Dany.
Could be a sort of "I can do this until my Khal lives" as "I've the power to do this and you have to shut up/to do what I say you have to do"?  :o

--- End quote ---

Ya, stallion is the correct word. It's probably just a mistake by whoever wrote those passages.

It should only be "ador shiqethi" unless you have it in the ablative for some reason. I think you took that from a sentence with zigerelat right? That's the "source verb class" that gives the ablative in that case. Sort of like "The source of my need is an iron chair". But yes, those and others should be added to the idioms.

Kash qoy qoyi thira disse was a phrase that the producers lifted from when Qotho says it and gave it to some random people, probably because they thought it sounded cool. It wasn't written to specifically be used in this way. David even said that it makes little sense the way it is used. I guess we could have David give it a meaning as a backformation though.

ValekLost:

--- Quote ---In the Idiom section, in the wiki, shoud be added "adoroon shiqethi" (iron chair) for "throne" and "rhaggat eveth" (water cart) for "ship" ?
--- End quote ---

Yes, it's from one of the dialogues, but I was in hurry and I didn't think about remove the ablative XD

--- Quote ---Kash qoy qoyi thira disse was a phrase that the producers lifted from when Qotho says it and gave it to some random people, probably because they thought it sounded cool.
--- End quote ---

Uh. Ok, in this way it makes sense :D
I was unable to understand the meaning of saying that in the other situations.
In my opinion to give a meaning to others uses of the phrase would be interesting, because.. regardless of the fact that it has been a free initiative of the producers...it has been said in other moments, without the original meaning.
Like "dozgosor".

--- Quote ---I guess we could have David give it a meaning as a backformation though.
--- End quote ---
If David likes the idea, why not  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version