Author Topic: Help with Combination Vowels (ae, oe, etc) Please!  (Read 6081 times)

ihumanwannabe

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Help with Combination Vowels (ae, oe, etc) Please!
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:19:36 pm »
I believe I have a pretty good grasp of how to pronounce vowels when they appear on their own due to the phonology page, but I have not been able to clarify the pronunciation of "oe" and "ae," which appears frequently in conjugated verbs.  I have been pronouncing "oe" simply as "oh" and "ae" as a long a sound.

Anha zhirak yera, anyone who can offer the smallest piece of advice!

Thank you!

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Combination Vowels (ae, oe, etc) Please!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:41:21 pm »
I believe I have a pretty good grasp of how to pronounce vowels when they appear on their own due to the phonology page, but I have not been able to clarify the pronunciation of "oe" and "ae," which appears frequently in conjugated verbs.  I have been pronouncing "oe" simply as "oh" and "ae" as a long a sound.

Anha zhirak yera, anyone who can offer the smallest piece of advice!

Thank you!

All vowels are pronounced separately, there are no diphtongs or long vowels in Dothraki. So "oe" is pronounced "o-e" and "ae" is pronounced "a-e". In the same way things like "-oon" and "-aan" and "ee" are pronounced as two separate o, a or e sounds.

Here is a blog post by David Peterson that has audio samples that feature most if these vowel combinations. http://www.dothraki.com/2011/10/hajas-zhey-khal/
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

ihumanwannabe

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Combination Vowels (ae, oe, etc) Please!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 11:50:30 am »
Thank you very much!