Author Topic: Valyrian  (Read 19167 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Valyrian
« on: May 20, 2011, 10:56:08 pm »
I was thinking regarding the Valyrian language. I'm sure a lot of people want there be a Valyrian conlang created for the show and right now it's anyones guess if it will ever happen. I think the only hint might be that David Peterson was asked to do a mock up of Asshaii and Skroth (the language of the White Walkers) so that is at least on indication that they are considering other languages than Dothraki as well.

What I was thinking though was that even if HBO doesn't decide to create Valyrian for the show. What's really to stop any conlanger from creating Valyrian anyway on a non-official basis? It seems like there are more fans of the show that are interested in Valyrian rather than Dothraki as well since it's seen as a more civilized and romantic culture.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Valyrian
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 01:39:59 am »
Or, how about the 'common' language, which sounds suspiciously like English in the book and TV show, but is probably something very different....
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:42:18 am »
Or, how about the 'common' language, which sounds suspiciously like English in the book and TV show, but is probably something very different....

Ya, but there is very little known about the common tongue. It mainly works as another word for english and only a couple of words are suspected to perhaps be common tongue words.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 05:06:43 pm »
A very interesting topic indeed. I have myself often wondered what Valyrian could be like and even drawn one or two ideas about the language. As you say it is most interesting for conlangers. I do believe they will try to fit Valyrian into the whole project, as it appears in the subsequent books, I think they couldn't get a better conlanger for the job. David Peterson's work on Dothraki was awesome I hope they commission Valyrian also.

But it'd be interesting to know more about Valyrian. I've always pictured it as semi-Britano-romanic in sounds and names, and with something of its own spin in it.
Athhajar vidrie anna ayyey

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 02:01:51 am »
If they do create a Valyrian language for the shows, it would be very interesting and unusual. Although I am sure I will check it out, Dothraki (plus Na'vi and Klingon) is plenty for me right now!

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:29:47 pm »
I have toyed with creating a Valyrian language, fleshed out a sketch of its grammar

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 12:28:47 am »
Now that the cats' out of the bag, you will have to share it with us!  ;)

You may also consider joining the Language Creation Society, where you will get two domains for hosting your language projects.

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 07:04:41 pm »
Now that the cats' out of the bag, you will have to share it with us!  ;)

You may also consider joining the Language Creation Society, where you will get two domains for hosting your language projects.

Hehe, well thank you very much for your show of faith in advance. I've coined one or two words I particularly liked in my version of Valyrian.

I do visit the LCS site and groups, I'm not a member myself on account of the distance, wouldn't be able to take advantage of my membership. But I do have one or two blogs myself about different languages I'm creating.

Adogs

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 05:25:23 pm »
VALYRRRRRRRIANNN!!

http://twitter.com/missnemmanuel/status/245201158149373952

Hoping this is true :)  Seems legit.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 09:24:14 pm »

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 04:08:35 pm »
Wow! So the first confirmation of Valyrian, and it seems it's already developed enough to deliver a speech!
They didn't go with gibberish for that while waiting for David to develop something else, right?

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 05:42:42 pm »
Wow! So the first confirmation of Valyrian, and it seems it's already developed enough to deliver a speech!
They didn't go with gibberish for that while waiting for David to develop something else, right?

It's not the first confirmation. It was mentioned in an off-hand comment in an interview David did a month or so ago as well. David has also said that he has had more work in season 3 than he had for season 2 so depending on how much Dothraki there still is it seems that there will be quite a bit if Valyrian in season 3.