Author Topic: Episode 1 plot translated to Dothraki. New words!  (Read 6780 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Episode 1 plot translated to Dothraki. New words!
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:52:57 am »
The New York Post has a piece where the plot outline for episode 1 of season 2 has been translated into Dothraki (I assume by David).

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/tvblog/game_of_thrones_plotline_translated_QrennHPZw254N9WqVDSu2L

There are several new words that I don't recognize so this will be a good text to go through to pick out all the details.

Dothraki

Kash Robb Stark (Richard Madden) ma lajasaroon valsha mae vatteri athvilajerar haji Lannisteri, kash Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) jada haji King’s Landing ma adranee Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) ma affashie athmanimvenar mae. She qile Dragonstone, Stannis Baratheon (Stephen Dillane) ajjora ostirge athemrasozaraan aqorasoe ador gaezosi driva mae, ma kemisoe ma chiorisoon ozzirvena, zhey Melisandre (Carice von Houten): maegi qemmemmo vojjoroon aqemmemmona. Yomme Havazzhifi Zhokwa, ma Daenerys (Emilia Clarke), ma zhavvorsa sash sen mae, ma khalasar veri vi Athasaroon Virzetha afonoe che kemikis ch’eveth. She Valshe, Bran (Isaac Hempstead-Wright) nemo annevae hatif Winterfell zirathe, kash yomme Grefoon, Jon Snow (Kit Harington) ma Vitihiraki Ajjalani’th vimithreri ma valshekoon qosarvena.

English

As Robb Stark (Richard Madden) and his northern army continue the war against the Lannisters, Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) arrives in King’s Landing to counsel Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) and convince him to put a lid on his self-indulgence. On the island of Dragonstone, Stannis Baratheon (Stephen Dillane) plots an invasion to claim his late brother’s throne. He also allies himself with a strange priestess named Melisandre (Carice von Houten). Across the sea, Daenerys (Emilia Clarke), her three young dragons and khalasar trek through the Red Waste in search of allies or water. In the North, Bran (Isaac Hempstead-Wright) presides over Winterfell, while beyond the Wall, Jon Snow (Kit Harington) must find shelter.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:39:33 am by ingsve »
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
Re: Episode 1 plot translated to Dothraki. New words!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 09:15:37 am »
hahh! Sweet.

The English version falls a bit short on a couple of places:

chiorisoon ozzirvena, zhey Melisandre (Carice von Houten): maegi qemmemmo vojjoroon aqemmemmona.
a strange priestess named Melisandre (Carice von Houten).

Jon Snow (Kit Harington) ma Vitihiraki Ajjalani’th vimithreri ma valshekoon qosarvena.
Jon Snow (Kit Harington) must find shelter.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:14:54 pm »
So... new words?

Dictionary eligible:
vatterat - continue
qile - island
kemisolat - to ally
kemik - ally
vitihirak - guard, watch
valshek - northener

A bit murky:
dranelat - to mother
athemrasozar - invasion (emrasolat would be "to invade", then; emralat we know to be "to enter")
qemmemmo - mysterious

Unknown territory:
affashilat - to make control (derived from (a)fashilat)
ajjorat - to design (derived from (a)jorat)
ostirgV - a plot (derived from os & tirgV)
ozzirven - strange (derived from ozzir & ven .. or zirven & /o-/+gemination)
zirathe - castle
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:11:36 pm »
David says on twitter that qemmemmo means strange, bizarre.

And there is a mistake in the text. The cardinal number sen should appear before zhavvorsa rather than after it.

Edit:

David also says that ozzirven means fiery or flashing and comes from ozzir which means ruby.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:42:22 pm by ingsve »
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:13:44 pm »
qemmemmo What a cool word! That may now be my favorite Dothraki word! In any case, I hope to have time to go over this word-by-word as well. And I hope David keeps doing these, as these long texts give us more insights into the language than just about anything else.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)