Author Topic: Tattoo Translation!  (Read 6948 times)

Lookaftermyheart

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Tattoo Translation!
« on: April 26, 2016, 06:16:31 pm »
I have a few tattoos in dothraki already (quotes from the book that my dad and I have) but now I'd like to add a new tattoo next to my other dothraki one and I would like them to be in the same language.

Can someone translate "Look after my heart. I have left it with you." Please!!! I have tried facebook messaging Peterson but I imagine he is very busy! Thank you in advance!

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
Re: Tattoo Translation!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 11:54:37 am »
Loshas zhoroon anni, haji anha vannevak mae ma yeroon.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:22:46 pm by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm

Atoro

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 11:03:32 pm »
I think the translation is close, but may be slightly off (please check my math here, Im not an expert!):

Loshas zhoroon anni
[(watch over / look after) heart-mine(inalienable possession) mine]

^^Because the heart is part of the body the "oon" attachment is sufficient. Adding "anni" for "my" would be redundant.

haji anha vannevak mae ma yeroon.
[(because of) I (will leave something {future tense}) it with (you+ from-you indication)]

^^haji may work here, but seems unneccessary. "k'athtihari" might be nice - meaning "it seems"
     ^^annavalat (the verb for leaving something) is conjugated for future tense here (addition of 'v'). past tense would be 'annava' I believe, though 'azh' meaning 'I gave' might work better.
    ^^mae means "his/hers/its" instead of "it". The pronoun you want here is 'jin' I believe, referring to something that is close to the speaker, as opposed to using 'haz' or 'rek'.
     ^^the 'oon' added to 'yer' indicates possession or direction, in this case 'from you' ('aan' would be to/for you). I think it can be dropped here. Unless Im mistaken this is in the accusative case, so 'yera' would be the appropriate form.

So my proposed change would be:

Loshas zhoroon, k'athtihari anha azh jin ma yera.

If the above seems off please post and let me know :)

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 08:19:09 am »
Right, so, you're my new best friend  :D

I loved your in depth descriptions of how you came to this conclusion, and I believe that both translations would work depending on how fancy you want to be, the only problem I see in yours is that the object of the second clause of the sentence needs to be allative because you changed the word to "azhat".
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 03:37:58 pm »
Okey dokey, so I think you may be a bit wrong here now that I've gotten done with all of my weekend work and have had some time to look at your message a bit longer.

So you claim that having anni is redundant and can be removed, but this can lead to many mistakes grammatically especially since verb classes are used in dothraki. If you don't use anni in the clause, it could mean "Watch from the heart" which could be both watching with passion or using the heart as a location; it could also mean "Watch my heart for a little while" where you begin to watch it but you aren't able to finish the task of looking after it. Long story short, the anni is crucial.

Hmm, I guess k'athtihari could work, but the meaning is meant to be used as an adverb. If you really want to use k'athtihari go ahead, but you're bending some rules by doing so.

Azhat just makes things more complicated since you have to change the object of possesion to the allative case, and we already have the ablative attatched to the object. I do agree that it should be in the past tense, though.

Umm, I don't know where you've been getting your information, but mae is the accusative form of "him/her/it" as well as "his/hers/its". Mae works perfectly in this clause.

The preposition ma is used with the ablative case in order to seperate the dual meanings ma has. What you wrote says "I gave this and you" or in other words, absolute nonsense. it becomes "with" only when the ablative is used, so it must remain as such.

The sentence will read as follows "Loshas zhoroon anni, haji anha anneva mae ma yeroon."
My name means butt swarm

Atoro

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:25:34 pm »
Trying to keep pace with the above - grammar has never been my strong suit so I'm trying to work through. Definitely understand the multiple possible interpretations once the 'anni' is removed; I hadn't seen that particular construction before but your explanation definitely makes sense. Can you tease out the different meanings of 'ma' that you mentioned, the ones that are effected by case? If you could show the ablative/allative distinction it would be a help to me as well. It has to do with the object/direction of the sentence? Much appreciated  :)

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 08:50:24 pm »
Well it has to do with preposition construction as said before. Depending on the case, the meaning of a preposition changes with it. However, they do not always change to a different meaning for every case - only a few of them. For example:

"ha"

ha janaan = for the dog
ha janoon = from the dog

"mra"

mra okraan = into the tent
mra okroon = out of the tent

"she"

she hrazef = on the horse
she hrazefaan = onto the horse
she hrazefoon = off of the horse

irge

irge athlajari = after the fight
irge athlajaraan = to the back of the fight
irge athlajaroon = from the back of the fight

Those are just a few but I think you get the point. Ma is an interesting case, because it functions as both a preposition and a conjunction. This is also true of haji. Really the best thing you can do is memorize the prepositions table; they can be difficult to understand at times but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it!

You seem to be quite prolific at beginners Dothraki and I think it's time you did some research into the more difficult grammar rules of the language. I went onto the Wiki homepage for Dothraki, and took notes (by hand) of every article on the website about dothraki that I didn't already have. It would benefit you greatly if you are truly dedicated to Dothraki. If you want to, I would be happy to have conversations with you over Skype like I do with other members of the forums.

Here's the link to the prepositions table:
https://wiki.dothraki.org/Prepositions

Here's a link to the Dothraki grammar:
https://wiki.dothraki.org/Learning_Dothraki#Grammar

My name means butt swarm

Atoro

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 02:08:42 pm »
Great info Choyosor. I'm brand new to this, will definitely look into the links, thanks :)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 02:05:37 pm »
Glad to see a linguistic discussion going on again! :)
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)