Author Topic: Another introduction...  (Read 6086 times)

Darcey

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Another introduction...
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:47:40 pm »
Hi folks! :)

I'm Darcey, a fan of ASOIAF for... aeons now (okay. at least a decade), and while I'm in India right now, I've had six years of linguistics background (with a tendency towards slang and dialect, and linguistic anthropology, so don't look at me for much on throwing conlangs together). I'm currently rolling around in Hindi and gobbling it up as fast as I can, with eyes on some of the hill languages and dialects, as well as Sanskrit, once I can get comfortable enough in the main language up here.

I'm looking forward to muddling around with Dothraki as well, and can only hope that we'll some extra love on these fora and an explosively large lexicon once the show is actually out.

So: who's seen that 15 minute preview?

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Another introduction...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:38:41 am »
Welcome.

Looks like we're getting more and more global. We're conquering each continent one forum member at a time.

I chatted with David Peterson (the creator of the language) yesterday and he said that what happens after the show airs will probably depend on how the interest is from the fans. So we simply need to get as many people interested as possible and start pestering HBO (for example through their twitter accounts @HBO and @GameOfThrones) for more information.

Until we get more official stuff we simply have to do our best to figure things out on our own from transcriptions of the show itself for example. It also helps that we already have a good relationship with David Peterson and he keeps dropping new words here and there for us to find. We still only have less than 10% of the created words so there is a long way to go.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:53:52 am »
Oh and yes, I've watched the preview. It looks really great so far. You can tell already that the show will be the same but different compared the books. The story is all there but you do lose some of the backstory that the books provides. You don't even learn the names of rangers in the prologue not to mention their back story but it still works. You instead get to know them a bit through the acting rather than the storytelling.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

FrederikKay

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:20:03 am »
There is a preview? Awesome. Not sure if I should watch it though. Might get spoiled.

BTW, storytelling through acting and cinematography is always better then cramming in exposition for movies and series. I haven't read the books, but if you look at LotR the books vs the films, the film removes a lot of fluff like backstory about elves and dwarfs, but this is replaced by just showing you places like Rivendell and Moria, where you can imagine the backstory for yourself. Its called "show, don't tell" If the writers are smart, they will do something similar. It seems that they are.

Anyway, welcome.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:22:38 am by FrederikKay »

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 03:57:48 am »
There is a preview? Awesome. Not sure if I should watch it though. Might get spoiled.

Oh, there are lots of previews. This latest one is simply the first three scenes from the first episode. It wouldn't be a poler to watch it as much as it's simply an early look at the scenes that you would see first anyway.

As for other previews. There has been teasers, trailers and lots of behind the scenes features. There will be lots of characters and places revealed in the first couple of episodes so they have put out features that present the various houses and most of the main characters to help people keep things straight. Most of the clips show footage from throughout the show so in that sense they are spoilers but they don't really give any context so the story isn't really spoiled. You can find most of the previews etc on http://www.youtube.com/user/GameofThrones

FrederikKay

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 03:17:03 am »
Yeah, already found that channel.

Anyway, welcome Darcey

ShadowedSin

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:29:07 am »