Author Topic: Hello  (Read 6262 times)

FrederikKay

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: April 04, 2011, 05:19:05 am »
Hello everyone,

I am Frederik, 21 years old and from the Netherlands.

I have never read ASOIAF but the series has me excited and I saw some of those awesome learn Dothraki videos.

Anyway, I decided to register for this forum, since it seemed nice.

If I may make a suggestion about the videos.(perhaps I should post it somewhere else)  Perhaps add text to the videos as well, so we can hear and see the phrases. The first thing I did when I saw those videos was take the dictionary (thanks for that btw) and try and find the words that the guy was saying. If you are continuing with lesson vids, I would suggest using windows movie maker to just add some text on the bottom. You could even use youtubes note system if you want.

Anyway, fun to see lots of enthusiasts on this forum. I am not much of a language geek, so not sure why I would want to learn this fake language, but it seems fun.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:36:41 am »
Welcome

I'm guessing this place will be full of all kinds of people so there is no need to be a huge language geek though some here certainly are. Hopefully Jason Momoa will be awesome in the role of Drogo so that a lot of people get curious about the language.

Since you haven't read the books then I suggest you try to avoid any major spoilers. If the series is anything like the books (which is looks like it is) you will be in for a nice treat.

As for the videos I have suggested something similar as well but Lajaki who has made the videos is extremely busy with university at the moment so the videos are not exactly on top of his list of things to do.

Make sure to take a look at the wiki as well at wiki.dothraki.org. I try to keep it as up to date as possible on vocabulary and I'm working on making pages for the various grammatical aspects as well.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

FrederikKay

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:14:29 am »
Thanks, I will.

Lajaki

• Administrator
  • We all swore oaths.
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:32:46 am »
Hey Frederik, welcome dude! Glad to have you have you here.

Yeah, I'll need to find time to notate those videos. I'll try and remember to do that if I make any more.

You really don't have to be a language nerd to learn Dothraki! It's just a fun hobby. Maybe you'll end up a language nerd by the end of the series, though. :)

FrederikKay

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 03:15:37 am »
thanks, I found your video's really helpfull as an introduction. I just think text would make them even more usefull.

Lajaki

• Administrator
  • We all swore oaths.
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 05:44:30 am »
Where are you from in the Netherlands, by the way? The Language Creation Society is going to have a conference in mid-may in Groningen. You should come meet me and David Peterson!

FrederikKay

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 01:37:43 pm »
I am currently studying in Delft. I might have time in may actually. Where can I find info about it.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:59:50 pm »
I am currently studying in Delft. I might have time in may actually. Where can I find info about it.

There doesn't seem to be that much info on it just yet. http://conference.conlang.org/lcc4/

"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly