Author Topic: Records of my thoughts during my studies of High Valyrian  (Read 6387 times)

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
Records of my thoughts during my studies of High Valyrian
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:42:55 am »
Day one: Phonology

I love it. The sounds are majestic and I guess frillier than that of Dothraki. I also like how the diphthongs can either be rising and falling and how the penult can be changed based on whether the vowel is heavy or light, or whether the diphthong is rising or falling. I love practicing the vowels, and making sure I know the difference between the , [y] and [u ] sounds. The consonants are fun, but are rather familiar to me already. I also enjoy practicing the separation of [r] and [r̥] (r and rh in the orthography if the IPA is hard to see). I think I'll enjoy the language the more I get into the structure of it all.
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
Re: Records of my thoughts during my studies of High Valyrian
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:28:43 pm »
Day two: accent

A lot trickier than Dothraki. It feels more like a chemical equation, where you have to balance the word a certain way and you get different outcomes depending on how much is put in or not. Truly fascinating stuff!
I currently have a bit more actual work than usual and haven't made as much progress as I was hoping to today. Oh well, I guess I have all summer to do so.  ;D
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:10:49 pm »
Day three: Gender and noun declension

Alright, things are getting tricky and I'm starting to get a bit confused. It isn't the concepts themselves that confuse me, I completely understand the genders, numbers and cases. The problem I have is memorizing all this information! How in the world are you supposed to keep track of all of the declesions for each and every noun?! I think I'll have my notebook close by everytime I want to carry out a conversation  :o
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:39:36 am »
Day four: More declensions

Okay, well, a pattern is emerging but it's still rather hard to place exactly. Hopefully, I'll have an epiphany soon and be able to place noun declensions exactly. In the meantime, I've had a very busy and stressful week and I need some time to relax outside  8)
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:47:55 am »
I've got three days left in school and it has been busy, busy, busy! As soon as I can I'll pick up where I left off
My name means butt swarm