Author Topic: A word combining problem.  (Read 6697 times)

Grihm

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
A word combining problem.
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:24:13 am »
Hi.

This is my first post here and i was hoping for some help to correct something.

Just want to clarify that this might sound strange, but it has to do with a specific game and it´s naming rules.

The words i was looking for is to combine winter and stallion. Now...i am really not good at all rules that apply to translating single words into sentences or new words, so to the best of my "guesstimation" this will become

Aheshke Vezh.

Now for the problem.

Where i am to enter this name, there is a limitation that restricts me from using a space. I can use ' and - only.

Can Winter stallion be written as Aheshke'Vezh and still be counted as the correct way in pronunciation?

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: A word combining problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:24:18 pm »
Hi.

This is my first post here and i was hoping for some help to correct something.

Just want to clarify that this might sound strange, but it has to do with a specific game and it´s naming rules.

The words i was looking for is to combine winter and stallion. Now...i am really not good at all rules that apply to translating single words into sentences or new words, so to the best of my "guesstimation" this will become

Aheshke Vezh.

Now for the problem.

Where i am to enter this name, there is a limitation that restricts me from using a space. I can use ' and - only.

Can Winter stallion be written as Aheshke'Vezh and still be counted as the correct way in pronunciation?

You generally can't just mash words together like that on a whim. The way you would normally say "winter stallion" would be vezh aheshki which translates more literally as "Stallion of winter".

There are words that are formed as compounds however like dothrakhqoyi which is a compound of dothrak and qoy but when you form compounds like that there is usually a specific meaning in mind and it might not always be the literal translation.

To give you an another example:

Jalan qoyi is a phrase that literally means "moon of blood" which more accurately translates as "harvest moon". There is however also a compound that is formed from the same words and that is jalanqoyi but in this form it instead means "total lunar eclipse".

So with your example the straight forward way to write Winter stallion would, like I said, be vezh aheshki. There is no way for us to really say if a compound of those words is even a legit word or what it would mean if it was a word. It would have to be coined by the creator David Peterson first.

The only thing I could recommend is to use one of the allowed symbols to work as a placeholder for a space like vezh-aheshki or something like that.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Grihm

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:34:15 pm »
Ah i see.

As i said, i am not very good at these general rules of words and their combining. I am trying as best as i can and it´s interesting to learn....even though it´s a slow going process.

Not really suffering from dyslexia but not far from it when it comes to consonants and how to add this and that to words to make them work. Still one does what one can.

I will keep in mind that what you said and thank you for the assistance!
Really impressive with all this info here...really looking forward to learning more.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:06:25 pm »
Interesting question. Your question raises some questions of context. Are you trying to make 'winter stallion' into one word, or are you trying to translate this as a phrase? Could the context in which it is being used have some bearing on the translation?

I do not know how much lingustic or second/multiple language background you have, but a general principle that many will quote you is 'translate the meaning and not the words'. Languages differ in how they convey meaning, even if they use the same basic building blocks (nouns, verbs, etc.) Insgive has made a very sound translation for you in terms of a standalone phrase, or even as a name. You might want to comment on context, etc., but I think Insgive has you on the right path.

In any case, m'athchomaroon! I hope you can contribute here on a regular basis. The Dothraki learners community is fairly small, and more learners are always welcome. We are always trying to build new tools and resources you can use to learn this fascinating language. Make sure you check out David's blog at www.dothraki.com where he introduces new words, and ideas, and encourages active participation in the learning process. A number of us also participate in a Dothraki IRC chat on Monday afternoons at 5 PM Pacific time (8 PM Eastern). An IRC web client is also available on this website.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Grihm

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:57:05 am »
Interesting question. Your question raises some questions of context. Are you trying to make 'winter stallion' into one word, or are you trying to translate this as a phrase? Could the context in which it is being used have some bearing on the translation?

I do not know how much lingustic or second/multiple language background you have, but a general principle that many will quote you is 'translate the meaning and not the words'. Languages differ in how they convey meaning, even if they use the same basic building blocks (nouns, verbs, etc.) Insgive has made a very sound translation for you in terms of a standalone phrase, or even as a name. You might want to comment on context, etc., but I think Insgive has you on the right path.

In any case, m'athchomaroon! I hope you can contribute here on a regular basis. The Dothraki learners community is fairly small, and more learners are always welcome. We are always trying to build new tools and resources you can use to learn this fascinating language. Make sure you check out David's blog at www.dothraki.com where he introduces new words, and ideas, and encourages active participation in the learning process. A number of us also participate in a Dothraki IRC chat on Monday afternoons at 5 PM Pacific time (8 PM Eastern). An IRC web client is also available on this website.

Good point. I can see now that i might have explained a bit wrong.
In short i am trying to create one word from those two separate words.

The biggest issues for me is that grammar is not my strong side + english is not my native language...so those two combined tend to open up for a few misunderstandings ^^

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 07:01:42 pm »
I then get the impression you are trying to use Vezh Aheske as a name. In general, names are a little more forgiving of grammar rules than normal text. So you could use Vezhaheske as a name and no one would likely jump down your throat for doing this. That said, there is nothing at all wrong with a two word name, and I would not hesitate to use Vezh Aheske.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:22:37 pm »
I then get the impression you are trying to use Vezh Aheske as a name. In general, names are a little more forgiving of grammar rules than normal text. So you could use Vezhaheske as a name and no one would likely jump down your throat for doing this. That said, there is nothing at all wrong with a two word name, and I would not hesitate to use Vezh Aheske.

The correct word would be vezh aheshki and not vezh aheshke. Aheshke needs to be in genitive so that the phrase becomes "stallion of winter". Vezh aheshke would mean "The stallion is winter".
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Grihm

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:21:57 am »
*typing it down in haste*

Wow this is really good. I have always had problems with grammar and the rules surrounding it but this really feels like it could work in the end.

The Aheshki and Aheshke difference is duly noted ^^

I will ponder about this some more but i like how it sounds.
This is the reason i don´t hasten to have things done when there are websites just like this one  ^^

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 01:19:38 pm »
Don't feel bad. As just illustrated, I, too have much to learn! In any case, it looks like you found what you need.

Grihm

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 03:19:18 pm »
Don't feel bad. As just illustrated, I, too have much to learn! In any case, it looks like you found what you need.

Indeed i have for now and for that i am grateful.
This site will be visited often ^^