Author Topic: Where to start learning Dothraki?  (Read 28508 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Where to start learning Dothraki?
« on: June 01, 2011, 10:52:03 am »
For those that have decided to get into Dothraki and are wondering where to start well here's an answer.

We will be building the Dothraki wiki into the place to go for all your learning needs.

This will be the starting point: http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Learningdothraki

Right now this is mainly an index of the current grammar pages but things are added continuously. Eventually there will be more and more instructional pages that help explain with examples how things work. We still don't know more than 15% of the created words and the grammar is not fully known so things will grow slowly over time. On the other hand, this is a great time to start learning things gradually as we find everything out one bit at a time.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start learning Dothraki?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:31:53 pm »
I have been watching the Dothraki wiki which is accessible through the main DOthraki site, and have not seen a lot of stuff I know to be going on there. But the link you provided above has a lot more material. Are there two wikis about essentially the same thing, or is some updating missing somewhere? In any case, I am glad to see that the information on some of the newer is now available in a systematic arrangement.

But for a total Dothraki noob, and a non-linguist, what is the very first (and second) part of the grammar I should begin to learn?
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »
I have been watching the Dothraki wiki which is accessible through the main DOthraki site, and have not seen a lot of stuff I know to be going on there. But the link you provided above has a lot more material. Are there two wikis about essentially the same thing, or is some updating missing somewhere? In any case, I am glad to see that the information on some of the newer is now available in a systematic arrangement.

But for a total Dothraki noob, and a non-linguist, what is the very first (and second) part of the grammar I should begin to learn?

Which main dothraki site would that be? Dothraki.org? If it is then it's the same wiki. The problem was that starting from the first page there wasn't a clear index page so you could find all the information but that's what we have created now with the link above.

One thing to start with is of course to learn various words or at least know where to look them up when you have decided what you want to say etc. As for grammar though, I think the first thing to check out is how to conjugate verbs. By conjugating verbs you not only know how the verb is used based on who the subject is but you can also express actions in the past and the future etc.

After that, or perhaps even before that, I would check out the syntax which includes things like word order which is needed to know how to string a sentence together.

Then there are several ways to go. Adjectives and how to compare them is always useful to know so that you can not only say hot but also hotter and hottest etc. Noun cases is also something that is needed to be grammatically correct but also it gives ways to express possession etc.

I'll soon start writing a tutorial for creating sentences in Dothraki and put it up on the wiki as well.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 01:53:11 am »
Thank you, Insgive. That is some advice that I can use and follow. I have more time than usual this weekend to work on Na`vi and Dothraki, so I will definitely put some of that info to work.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Khaleesi

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:31:24 pm »

I know this may be a dumb question but I was wondering what the word Kaleci ment. I dont know if I spelled the word right but I cant seem to find it and Iv heard it on the show several times. I thought that was Drogos wifes name till I learned it wasnt... If anyone knows please let me know what the meaning is. I love the word and the sound of it so I used it as my main username..
;-) Kahleesi ;-)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 01:36:21 am »

I know this may be a dumb question but I was wondering what the word Kaleci ment. I dont know if I spelled the word right but I cant seem to find it and Iv heard it on the show several times. I thought that was Drogos wifes name till I learned it wasnt... If anyone knows please let me know what the meaning is. I love the word and the sound of it so I used it as my main username..

The word is Khaleesi. It is the word that is used for the wife of a Khal. A loose translation would be something like queen or princess.

Khaleesi

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 03:35:37 am »
Thanks so much I have to say thats been one of my favorite words since the show started. I just love the way it sounds coming out of there mouth. I have tried looking it up but i knew i had to be spelling it wrong then i came across your site where u were on cam and teaching ppl how to speak in dothraki so i knew u were the right guy to ask. Again thanks so much...
;-) Kahleesi ;-)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 04:21:55 am »
Thanks so much I have to say thats been one of my favorite words since the show started. I just love the way it sounds coming out of there mouth. I have tried looking it up but i knew i had to be spelling it wrong then i came across your site where u were on cam and teaching ppl how to speak in dothraki so i knew u were the right guy to ask. Again thanks so much...

Well, actually the guy in the videos is Lajaki but he has taken a step back from running this place since he has so much to do with his studies.

You should also know that they often slightly mispronounce the word on the show. You often hear them say it with a /k/-sound in the beginning but /Kh/ is pronounced like the /ch/ is Bach or loch or l'chaim. In episode 8 there are a couple places where the pronounciation is more correct.

Darth Valcron

• Darth Valcron vichomerak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 06:08:57 pm »
There should be a little class via online. so we are learning at once and helping each other. This language could be much bigger than we expect. why not treat it as such... for the people who are willing to learn
Tihat sorfosor drivolat mra vorsa

DothrakiFan

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 05:13:47 pm »
If you have any difficulties about Dothraki words you might want to try an iOS application which is DothEn. It works perfect for me. I think it is worth to buy it. If you want to check it follow the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dothen/id946249015