Author Topic: The Dictionary Thread  (Read 62542 times)

Lajaki

• Administrator
  • We all swore oaths.
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
The Dictionary Thread
« on: April 06, 2011, 02:18:41 am »
Well, here we go.

Post updates that ought to go into the dictionary here. This thread is also for comments, suggestions, damnations, praises, requests to translate, and all that jazz. I'll post in here when I make updates.

The current version is 3.11, dated January 23rd, 2016

The Dothraki Dictionary
The English to Dothraki Dictionary

(Note; Hrakkar took over the majority of the editing work on the dictionary from our beloved Lajaki, in September of 2011. Lajaki continues to provide technical advice and help when needed, and he is always welcome here!)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:09:05 pm by Hrakkar »

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: The Dictionary Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:23:12 am »
Seems like I had missed to post some pronounciation modifiers that was revealed in the first chat.

For example after a q there is a vowel change.
/i/ > [e]; /e/ > [E]; /o/ > [O ]; /a/ > [A] / q_

Also he said that kh will float around a bit. It will be more palatal before front vowels.

I guess the vowel changes can be easily updated though I'm not sure about what exact sound he means that kh changes into. It's a bit vaguely stated. Possibly he means ç or something like that.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Lajaki

• Administrator
  • We all swore oaths.
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 05:46:48 am »
Ho boy. That'll be fun to update, haha.

So...

/i/ > [e]
/e/ > [ɛ]
/o/ > [ɔ]
/a/ > [ɑ]

Right?

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 06:11:03 am »
Ho boy. That'll be fun to update, haha.

So...

/i/ > [e]
/e/ > [ɛ]
/o/ > [ɔ]
/a/ > [ɑ]

Right?

You tell me...I just copied what David wrote and you know pholonoly a lot better than me.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Lajaki

• Administrator
  • We all swore oaths.
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:32:19 pm »

Verak

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 08:54:43 pm »

If this is not the correct place for me to post this then please move it.

It seems that The following things will need to be tracked in the dictionary as they are not predictable based on other rules.
  • for NOUNS :: ANIMACY on an entry by entry basis (at least for animals)
  • for PREPOSITIONS :: CASE MARKING
  • for PRONOUNS :: CASE VARIATION (anha, anna, anni, anhaan, ___ / me, mae, ___, ___, ___) where irregular (if not always).
Are there any irregular verbs yet?

What else am I missing?

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:29:02 pm »

If this is not the correct place for me to post this then please move it.

It seems that The following things will need to be tracked in the dictionary as they are not predictable based on other rules.
  • for NOUNS :: ANIMACY on an entry by entry basis (at least for animals)
  • for PREPOSITIONS :: CASE MARKING
  • for PRONOUNS :: CASE VARIATION (anha, anna, anni, anhaan, ___ / me, mae, ___, ___, ___) where irregular (if not always).
Are there any irregular verbs yet?

What else am I missing?

No, I don't think I've seen any irregular verbs yet.

I verbs have been listed as transitive and intransitive also but I'm not sure what effect that has on grammar if any.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 07:55:24 am »
I just finished a big update of the dictionary. If anyone finds any mistakes or anything that looks weird let me know in this thread.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:48:21 pm »
Now that there has been a changing of the guard regarding the dictionary, this would be a good time toi suggest assigning version numbers to the dictionary each time it is updated. As the version that was just updated today represents a major upgrade, maybe this would be the place to start with 1.0. Lajaki has a numbering scheme he used with LearnNavi's dictionary, and that might be good to adopt here as well.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 08:04:34 pm »
Now that there has been a changing of the guard regarding the dictionary, this would be a good time toi suggest assigning version numbers to the dictionary each time it is updated. As the version that was just updated today represents a major upgrade, maybe this would be the place to start with 1.0. Lajaki has a numbering scheme he used with LearnNavi's dictionary, and that might be good to adopt here as well.

Ya, that might be possible. How does that work? He just gave it a sligtly higher number for every little update? like if the current one was 1.0 then if I added a couple words it would be 1.01? And when would it switch to 2.0?

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 02:41:00 am »
I will have to find Lajacki's description of how his versioning worked, but you have the right general idea. Small changes like a error correction, got a number change in the third place from right of the decimal point. A bunch of new words, a change in grammar, etc. got a change in the second place. A major shift n something got a change in the first place. A wholesale reworking got a change on the number to the left of the decimal point. Those kinds of changes got to be rare after we had a reasonably good understanding of the grammar, etc. So, the Na'vi dictionary has ben on version 11.xxx for quite some time now. (The current version is 11.87, the last with Taronyu/Lajaki as editor). Above all, it is not rocket science.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 03:40:25 am »
Ok, I'll try to do something like that.

So what's the general purpose for it? So that people who have downloaded a copy of the dictionary can easily see how up to date it still is?

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 09:08:53 am »

So what's the general purpose for it? So that people who have downloaded a copy of the dictionary can easily see how up to date it still is?

That is correct. Otherwise, it is hard to tell how old a given copy of the dictionary is. Using a date would do the same thing. Lajacki did both a number and a date. I am surprised he wasn't doing it with the Dothraki dictionary. It might be because it started out smaller than the Na`vi dictionary, and is evolving more slowly.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 09:19:50 am »

That is correct. Otherwise, it is hard to tell how old a given copy of the dictionary is. Using a date would do the same thing. Lajacki did both a number and a date. I am surprised he wasn't doing it with the Dothraki dictionary. It might be because it started out smaller than the Na`vi dictionary, and is evolving more slowly.

Well, there is a date and a changelog.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 01:28:49 pm »
I guess in my 'set ways' in looking for a version number, I have not noticed the date before (my mind does that sometimes, and it is annoying). A date is sufficient for the purpose.