Author Topic: Legendary  (Read 4133 times)

KingAlanI

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Legendary
« on: March 15, 2014, 05:04:36 pm »
I'm trying to translate "legendary". I can't find anything for synonyms like "unique" or "alone".
I did find "only" (disse) but that seems to mean "only" in a diminutive or dismissive sense. Nevertheless, disse is all I can find, so I'm going with it.
I figure "only one" might better convey my meaning. Can I simply say disseat?

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
Re: Legendary
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 03:56:35 pm »
Disse isn't probably a good word to go by. I'm fairly certain it's an adverbial form of dis, as the meanings are very close (replace "only" or "just" on the example sentences with "simply" and you'll notice the meaning remains almost intact) and geminations tend to happen and disappear and geminate and /-e/ seems to be a common pattern for deriving adverbs. You'd more likely end up saying "ordinary" than "unique". Note, though, that "simple" does not necessarily carry as much dismissive weight as it does in English. Dothraki like to have things plain, simple and straightforward. Even their word for "comfort" is athdisizar.

Can I simply say disseat?
(Simply ... hehh) As per above, deriving forward from an adverb form is iffy at best, but if you could, you'd need to use /-lat/ as disse ends in a vowel.

I'm wondering, though, is "legendary" really that close to "unique". To me "legendary" is pretty much an accented version of "famous", and we have a word for that, hakeso. I'd go to "song-like" or "song-born" or something like that before I'd venture to "unique".
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

KingAlanI

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 06:17:18 pm »
I had read something about the derivation from 'dis' even though I didn't specify that. Yeah, it works even worse than I thought.

I was thinking of the specialized sense of "Legendary" used in Magic The Gathering, meaning a card you can have only one of in play at a time. Yeah, that messed this up even further. :P

Hakeso/famous works.