Author Topic: Anha tihilat shafka...  (Read 6259 times)

RileyBear

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Anha tihilat shafka...
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:14:17 am »
Which I hope translate roughly into "I greet you."

While the Na'vi language from Avatar was nice, I love the guttural feel of the Dothraki language and hope to learn as much as I can.

I live near Chicago and by day am a programmer.  By night, I game with my husband and read... A LOT.

I hope to have fun with this.
Thanks for letting me say HI.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Anha tihilat shafka...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:20:41 am »
I see what you did there...

Tihilat would need to be conjugated though so I think it would be Anha tihik shafkaes or something like that. I'm a bit unsure of what the accusative of shafka is as well.

A more proper greeting would be m'athchomaroon though which means "with respect".

...and welcome to the forum.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Finger

• Anha hasa m'erin khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:50:17 pm »
Welcome!

There you have this page (http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Verbs) where you'll be able to know how to conjugate all verbs (it's very useful).
Take a small look of all that wiki's corners, you'll learn a lot :)

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 03:45:43 pm »
There you have this page (http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Verbs) where you'll be able to know how to conjugate all verbs (it's very useful).
Take a small look of all that wiki's corners, you'll learn a lot :)

Yes, the wiki is the place to go. But be warned: it is still far from comprehensive. There are things no-one of us yet knows (if you don't count Mr. Peterson, but I guess Peterson isn't strictly speaking 'us'). And this is a small community (at the moment ingsve seems to be the person who knows the most and works the most - kind of chief editor of the wiki). Updates sometimes plough a little behind. Page about verbs certainly doesn't tell you yet, how to conjugate all the verbs.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 01:37:02 am »
Are you active in the Na`vi community as well? (I am `Eylan Ayfalulukanä in that world)

I find that Dothraki and Na`vi complement each other, as kind of opposites. But there is still a lot of stuff about Dothraki that is missing. So, I guess we will all have fun learning.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

RileyBear

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 08:34:14 am »
I am not on the Na'vi forums.  Though learning both would be cool.  Care to post a link?

I haven't named myself in Dothraki yet, though I am leaning towards something containing zhavvorsi.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 01:28:04 pm »
http://www.learnnavi.org

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä means 'Thanator's friend' in Na`vi. I'll have to look up what zhavvorsi means, but it is an interesting sounding word (like Hrakkar became when it was discovered the trailing R had been left off in the dictionary entrys!)
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)