Author Topic: Latinist and conlang-obsessed linguist checking in; hallo, all!  (Read 4352 times)

Istrael

• Latinist and lifelong conlang dweeb
    • View Profile
Good morning, everybody; you have quite the nice little forum here! My apologies in advance if I end up being either more lurkish or loquacious than is standard fare for the place.

I'm Isto; I teach piano and Latin in southern Illinois, USA. I have under my belt a long and torrid affair with Sindarin and Mando'a, along with a dabbling acquaintance to ha'Shmla. Fictional universe conlangs occupy most of my free time linguistic fancy, and today I feel it's about time I explore the Valyrian language family, as it has been needling my attention for the last few days.

I have a BA in applied linguistics, and my first languages are English and Welsh. It's good to meet you all; thanks for your indulgence!

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
Re: Latinist and conlang-obsessed linguist checking in; hallo, all!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:24:33 am »
Hallo.

It's hard to go wrong on loquacious - lurkish scale. It's mostly rather quiet in here, so lurkers fit well into the mix, but more talk is much appreciated, so loquaciusness is good too.

Welcome.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 12:54:24 pm »
Welcome Istrael!

As Qvaak said, it is fairly quiet around here, although every now and then we get a really interesting thread going here.

However, for Valyrian, most of the action is going on in the wiki sections of this site. One particular gentleman, Mad Latinst, pretty much leads the charge on Valyrian, and especially High Valyrian (which is what I suspect you are here for).

In any case, enjoy the site. Don't be afraid to ask questions or propose ideas!
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Istrael

• Latinist and lifelong conlang dweeb
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 02:13:25 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll have to give the wiki a look.