Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 4471 times)

Lemlongspear

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Help needed
« on: April 13, 2016, 04:41:39 am »
Hi all im new to this and am struggling alot so thought this would be a good place to get some help.
Im currently translating a section of text for a dothraki voiceover on a video. The problem i have had is i cannot find translations for certain words so have been trying to come up with alternative ways of saying the same thing.

The text im trying to translate is as follows

"Eat, Sleep, Drink, worship, surrender to game of thrones"

Translation
"Adakhat, Remekat, Indelat, Chomolat, Alloshat yeri ki vilajerosh adori nakhaan"

I could not find a literal translation for "worship" so have used to respect/honour instead
Also could not find a word for surrender so have tried to go down the route of "to give yourself completly to game of thrones" i realise ive probably got this completly wrong but am finding myself going round in circles with it so thought id seek help on here 

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 12:02:37 am »
Not bad for a first try!
I'll need to look a little closer at this when there is more time. The biggest thing needed might be a little tweaking on noun cases.

The lack of a word for 'worchip' is interesting and kind of unexpected, considering how often the concept is actually used. But I don't remember seeing one, either. I might just ask David Peterson about that.

I'm afraid I can't help you with your Valyrian questions. Because activity has dropped so low here, I don't think they check very frequently.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:20:15 pm »
M'ath!

Good job translating as a beginner, but there's one key component you forgot to use in you statement; the imperative mood.

The imperative mood indicates that you are commanding someone to do something, and looking at the phrase you want to translate it definitely fits under this definition. You can write the imperative in either the formal or the informal ways. Since this phrase is adressing an unknown audience, and since I assume you want this statement to have authority over the readers, I suggest using the formal imperative.

The formal imperative is rather simple to write. All you have to do is add /-i/ to the end of the bare verb form that ends in a constonant, and just the bare verb form with verbs that end in a vowel. Also, you leave the pronoun out of the phrase since this is imperative.

remember not to use the word nakhaan. First, it's an unessecary detail. Second, it doesn't agree with the case assignment laid out by the preposition hatif.

remember to use the conjunction ma!

And regarding your question of the Dothraki word for 'worship', I suggest using the word Joro (idol, icon) and turn it into a verb; Jorat (to idolize).

So, the final translation of,  "Eat, Sleep, Drink, worship, surrender to game of thrones" should be;
"Adakhi, remeki, inde(), jori, ma allo() hatif Vilajerosh Adorisi"

imperative suffix is marked in red
conjunction is marked in purple
preposition and cooresponding declension is marked in green
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:52:17 pm by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:37:36 am »
Zhey Choyosor,
    Good job stepping in and analyzing this question! Things are kind of slow right now, but it is always good to see folks who know the language stepping in and helping out!

-Hrakkar
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 05:08:55 am »
 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You do what you can
My name means butt swarm