Author Topic: M'athchomaroon  (Read 7271 times)

her sun and stars

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
M'athchomaroon
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:36:38 am »
Hi, I'm Evan, and a GOT Roleplayer on Tumblr.
As I'm RP'ing Khal Drogo, I thought I should make some effort with this so that I can put in a few Dothraki phrases here and there in my RP without embarrassing myself too much. I have downloaded the dictionaries and I am trying to get to grips with the grammar. I could do with some useful phrases. Any good sources would be helpful, on here or otherwise.
Thanks people,
Evan.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: M'athchomaroon
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:17:55 am »
As I'm RP'ing Khal Drogo, I thought I should make some effort with this so that I can put in a few Dothraki phrases here and there in my RP without embarrassing myself too much. I have downloaded the dictionaries and I am trying to get to grips with the grammar. I could do with some useful phrases. Any good sources would be helpful, on here or otherwise.
Thanks people,
Evan.

M'athchomaroon, zhey Evan

I assume you have found the wiki since you mentioned getting to grips with the grammar. There we have posted the Dothraki dialogue from season 1 and 2 (If I remembered to finish season 2? If not that will be added shortly.) There you can either just take phrases from the show or use those phrases as a basis to elaborate on them to create other phrases.

http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Season_One_Dothraki_Dialogue
http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Season_Two_Dothraki_Dialogue

There is also the page with Idioms and Phrases though that hasn't been updated that much in a while so there are lots more that could be added.

http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Idioms_and_Phrases

Also make sure to read David Petersons blog at www.dothraki.com
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

her sun and stars

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:36:32 am »
Thank you ingsve,
That's all really useful.. and I'll try and do it justice.
One thing I was trying to find was " A man who doesn't ride, is no man at all" which I don't think actually appears in the dialogue.. but would be handy. I'll have a search.
Fonas chek!

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:10:25 am »
Thank you ingsve,
That's all really useful.. and I'll try and do it justice.
One thing I was trying to find was " A man who doesn't ride, is no man at all" which I don't think actually appears in the dialogue.. but would be handy. I'll have a search.
Fonas chek!

Ya, the dialogue has Khal fini laz vos dothrao, vos khal.  "A Khal who can't ride is no Khal"

To change it to "man" you instead say Mahrazh fini laz vos dothrao, vos mahrazh.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

SnakeSepta

• Kisha aserisaki.
    • View Profile
    • Unbowed Unbent Unbroken
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:12:41 am »
Thanks people,
Evan.

Hi Evan,

I'm new here, too. Been working on my Dothraki for about a week now, and it still feels a bit clunky. It's difficult to remember the idioms and sentence structure. I'm finding that a lot of it is just memorization. I am a visual person, so I am writing a lot of it down in a notepad as I go along. Have fun with your RP'ing!

Meghan
Anha gezri qeshah iz, ma yer aqovi hatif anni.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:32:26 am »
M'ath to both of our newcomers!

All the advice given so far is good advice.

I will add that the grammar and sentence structure is really not all that bad, once you are used to it. Some things, like zero cupola sentences do take some getting used to. Probably the most challenging thing about Dothraki is the irregular noun declension and verb conjugation patterns. Much of it makes sense, but there are enough exceptions that you really have to memorize the patterns found in the declension and conjugation tables. We have recently improved the descriptions on how to work with the affixes in the grammar, to emphasize some important things that were not intuitively obvious.

Have fun!
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

SnakeSepta

• Kisha aserisaki.
    • View Profile
    • Unbowed Unbent Unbroken
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:22:06 am »
Thank you  ;) I need to work on vocabulary, too!
Anha gezri qeshah iz, ma yer aqovi hatif anni.