Author Topic: The Dictionary Thread  (Read 63450 times)

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Dictionary Thread
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2012, 07:09:25 am »
lol! I have to stop doing two things at the same time...

I meant 'checking the Special Feature of the Game of Thrones DVD: "Creating Dothraki"'  :P
Athhajar vidrie anna ayyey

KingAlanI

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2014, 08:58:58 am »
In v3.083 (2013.12.11), the definition/translation of qoralat includes 'sieze', a simply typo for 'seize'.

KingAlanI

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2014, 10:30:13 pm »
The westeros.org wiki says that a ko commands a khas (part of a khalasar). While kos are often bloodriders and vice versa, this is different from the ko and khas definitions in the dictionary.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2014, 12:58:55 am »
Zhey KingAlani, thanks for pointing these items out.

The 'seize' error is probably mine, as that is one I commonly make.

The bit about a ko commanding a khas probably predates my time as dictionary editor. If it is in the wiki that way, that is almost certainly the case. Both of these are fixable as well, but I just need to verify that this is indeed correct.

I was planning a dictionary update this weekend, but I got busy with my other responsibilities. I'll try and get to that tomorrow night.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

KingAlanI

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:07 am »
Zhey KingAlani, thanks for pointing these items out.

The 'seize' error is probably mine, as that is one I commonly make.

The bit about a ko commanding a khas probably predates my time as dictionary editor. If it is in the wiki that way, that is almost certainly the case. Both of these are fixable as well, but I just need to verify that this is indeed correct.

I was planning a dictionary update this weekend, but I got busy with my other responsibilities. I'll try and get to that tomorrow night.

Athdavrazar!

Havazhyol

• Athdrivar vos annakhoo !
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2014, 01:14:22 am »
KingAlani,

first, welcome.
Second : wow you are on fire, I just read your different discussion here. Thanks for your participation, and welcome again !
I'm back !!

KingAlanI

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2014, 06:58:38 pm »
'oqo' is translated as 'beat, rythmic noise'. Typo, supposed to be 'rhythmic'. This shows up in both the Dothraki-English and English-Dothraki dictionaries.

Alizia

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2015, 12:46:50 am »

Lajaki

• Administrator
  • We all swore oaths.
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2016, 11:35:13 am »
I've got an emai from a Chinese person who would like to translate the dictionary. Anyone know who to contact about that? Who is in charge at the moment, and is the dictionary being maintained?

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2016, 08:18:14 am »
Umm, I guess I am at the moment  ;D

M'ath zhey lajaki! I don't believe we've met yet. I'm choyosor and I've been acting as the most active member of the Dothraki community since April of this year, and had been trying to organize and recentralize the community to this forum. I made a post a few months earlier called Zhongwen Dothraki in the general discussions board about this very topic, but I'm sure the fluent chinese speaker would be much better equipped to translate dothraki into the chinese script. 
My name means butt swarm

Alizia

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2016, 09:34:28 pm »
M'ath eyak !

Where are a mistake in the vocabulary page : athmajizar means "sharing", not "turn".

And we can add a new word : majilat means "to share"

https://twitter.com/AliziaKaline/status/813616198076301312

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2016, 09:27:25 pm »
It may have merely been a lost in translation moment, since Zhey Alizia hails from Frankland.
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2016, 01:49:13 pm »
Alright, I have a question regarding the root of two words:

Is there a connection between the verbs to slice/cut into(rissat) and to fix (arrissat)? If so, what semantics lead to this connection?
My name means butt swarm

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2017, 04:32:41 am »
Alright, I have a question regarding the root of two words:

Is there a connection between the verbs to slice/cut into(rissat) and to fix (arrissat)? If so, what semantics lead to this connection?

perhaps arrissat: to make cut > to make sharp > to make useful, make work (a dull arakh is a useless arakh, afterall) > to fix?

on an unrelated note, I think rhoa should be marked as a class A inanimate noun in the dictionary, based on its use in S2E2:

Jin tish mori! Mori ogish ven mae ven rho.
They did! They butchered him like an animal.
Che vezak anha os che amovek - Hannibal Barca, ko Punik.

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2017, 08:41:16 am »
I think that shortening/modification interjections in the language is a nessecity.  Expressing rage, confirmation and quick commands are too long and too formal for what they intend to express.  As well as this, common interjections in language are missing from the language. These are my suggestions:

Graddakh
Too long and unimpactful for a brief "f*ck!" moment; It's similar to saying "Gee willikers" or "Sacre bleu" in english/french. I think that "Grra" is far more satisfying, and condenses the explitive down to a nice, single-syllable statement.  I've used it before when talking to friends, as well as a few posts ago in the forum.

Ai
Not overly complicated like graddakh, but it still feels weird coming out of the mouth. I suggest just making it the diphthong "Ay", making it similar to the "Aye" of oler english dialects or the japanese "Hai".  It could also double as an "okay" word of general confirmation.

Affa
Too harsh for trying to calm a horse.  You want to avoid fricatives as much as possible since a big stress inducer for a horse is running into a snake, and making snake sounds is the last thing you want to do if you want to get your horse to stop moving.  I suggest making it a nasal or an approximant: "amma" or "awwa". Nice and calm.
For calming a baby you could use "affa", but

Mumbled response
The equivalent of "uh-huh" and "nuh-uh" in many, many languages. Asi mra lekh Dothraki laz vekha ven "oho" ha sekaan, ma "o" ha vosaan.  The IPA would be similar to [˦˨ʔm.˨ʔm] and [˥˩ʔo] (it isn't exact due to this being a non-pulmonic sound)
My name means butt swarm