Information > David's Dothraki blog

Smaller Questions

<< < (2/4) > >>

ingsve:
Do we know all there is to know about adverbs?

-They are generally sentence final.
-They don't decline.
-Some come right after the verb (like vosecchi). Are there any more examples that follow this pattern?
-Some come in front of the adjective they are modifying.
-Postpositional particles are adverblike.

Is there anything more that applies to adverbs?

Hrakkar:
When is appropriate to use contractions? I understand, for instance, that m'athchomaroon is ma + athchomaroon

How do contractions affect pronunciation?

ingsve:
Another thing I don't think we have yet is a way of creating new adverbs similar to the -ly suffix in English.

Daenerys:
Animals.

The list of animals we have are listed as animate and inanimate. Example  horse or a bee are "n" (since currently it isn't known which they would fall under) and a bear "na,", while a goat or a dog or rabbit was "ni."

Would animals in general be animate? Can you tell the difference if they are not?

ingsve:
I thought I'd put this forum section to use since we actually have it.

I have a question regarding whether it works to stress certain words in a sentence in Dothraki to highlight a specific meaning in what you're saying.

In English for example a sentence can take on slightly different meaning depening on what word in the sentence is emphasized:

Yes, that is my hat. 

Yes, that is my hat.

Yes, that is my hat.

Yes, that is my hat.

Yes, that is my hat.

Does this work in exactly the same way in Dothraki or are there occasions when you have to add words or change something to illustrate this type of slight difference in meaning?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version