The World of Westeros > HBO: Game of Thrones

Dothraki dialogue from the TV series.

<< < (2/8) > >>

ingsve:

--- Quote from: Memziri on May 04, 2011, 03:11:45 am ---Awesome. Thank you. I'm so glad you're doing this. I was looking about for this just the other day.

Shall we put it on the wiki, too, once things get proofread and pinned down, for a more "permanent" place than a forum with moving/bumped posts?

--- End quote ---

Ya, that was the plan.

Qvaak:
Super. Thanks from me too.

--- Quote ---hash me nem ejervae nharesoon.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Hash tih fikishi nahre yeroon?
--- End quote ---

This nhare / nahre is probably the same word meaning head.

--- Quote ---Hash shafka zali addrivat mae
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Khaleesi vos zalo meme nem azisa
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Khaleesi salameme adakhat sina ajjalan
--- End quote ---

And with these zalo meme seems to be the same two word expression as salameme, meaning something like to want. Meme seems to be a separate word (if not a big suffix .. or two words: "it-it") as zali is probably the same word as sala and zalo.
Maybe this approximately zalo is actually a bit on the degree side on want. At first glance Rakharo seems to ask Do You want to kill him?, and either because of the words or because of the culture this seems to translate into Do you want me to kill him for you.

There isn't parenthesis in Rakharo's kill / ear removal discussion. Is it confirmed? Why would it be and food discussion not? I want the food discussion! It is, I think, the most flawless and textbook example like exchange in Dothraki so far.

--- Quote ---Khaleesi salameme adakhat sina ajjalan. Oge loy mowesi.
--- End quote ---
Khaleesi wants-to eat something-different tonight. Slaughter some rabbits.

Could adakhat be in a future tense? Should the word be dakhat in the dictionary? Mowesi looks a lot like plural. Wouldn't that make rabbits animate? I guess we should expect them to be.

--- Quote ---Vo mowesi gojina
--- End quote ---
No rabbits ?here?.

As far as I can find, there are no clues about that gojina. Or could jin be the root of the word/expression?

--- Quote ---Ezas loy alegri h'anhaan. Mori allayafi mae, jin alegra.
--- End quote ---
?Find? some ducks ?right?-to-me. Them please zher, those ducks.

I'd think it's likely ezas doesn't mean literally find. It could as well be something like search. What should be our gender neutral pronoun for as-literal-as-possible translations? I find s/he rather ugly. I guess h' could be pretty much anything - and probably it's just preposition helper. What would anhaan mean there without it? Into me?

--- Quote ---Chiori tih lo alegri shivikisi? Vo mowesi, vo alegre. Hash tih fikishi nahre yeroon? Hash tih?
--- End quote ---
Woman seen some ducks ?I-wonder? No rabbits, no ducks. Do seeing ?manage? head from-you? Do see?

Apart from Vo mewesi, vo alegre I'm at loss here. Lo is probably the same as previous loy and it would probably mean something more like some  than any. Shivikisi seems superfluous. Tih is a mystery. Is it just to see, tihat? Is it a verb at all?

--- Quote ---Ma jin jano. Anha rek tih san jani
--- End quote ---
Then this dog. I them see many dogs.

Fine. Apparently san means quite exactly just many, but it's fun to think of it as heaps-of. Ma seems like an exellent little word. A wide range of uses, but seems like easy enough to grasp.

uuuh. Sleep for me now. Sorry for bad english. I'm no linguist, just a curious person. I'm much more into puzzles than into languages. If all the words and grammatics would have been published, I probably wouldn't even try to unlock them - it would seem like too big task to even begin - but now that the information is scarce, this is fun mystery to muse about.

ingsve:

--- Quote from: Qvaak on May 05, 2011, 04:40:53 pm ---Super. Thanks from me too.

--- Quote ---hash me nem ejervae nharesoon.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Hash tih fikishi nahre yeroon?
--- End quote ---

This nhare / nahre is probably the same word meaning head.

--- End quote ---

Yes, that was my guess. The spelling is just a typo.

--- Quote from: Qvaak on May 05, 2011, 04:40:53 pm ---
--- Quote ---Hash shafka zali addrivat mae
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Khaleesi vos zalo meme nem azisa
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Khaleesi salameme adakhat sina ajjalan
--- End quote ---

And with these zalo meme seems to be the same two word expression as salameme, meaning something like to want. Meme seems to be a separate word (if not a big suffix .. or two words: "it-it") as zali is probably the same word as sala and zalo.
Maybe this approximately zalo is actually a bit on the degree side on want. At first glance Rakharo seems to ask Do You want to kill him?, and either because of the words or because of the culture this seems to translate into Do you want me to kill him for you.

There isn't parenthesis in Rakharo's kill / ear removal discussion. Is it confirmed? Why would it be and food discussion not? I want the food discussion! It is, I think, the most flawless and textbook example like exchange in Dothraki so far.

--- End quote ---

Yes, the sentences without parenthesis have been confirmed. The subtitle files that was discussed above were supervised by David Peterson so he provided them with the correct lines from those scenes. They don't feature all the lines however, only those lines that weren't subtitled on the show. We'll have to wait to get final confirmation from David regarding the other lines.

I think you might be right about salameme being the same as zalo meme though it sounds like she says zala meme which is probably just a different conjugation. Edit:Now David also confirmed that zalat means "to want" That also confirms that Rakharo's line translates as "Do you want to kill him?".

--- Quote ---Khaleesi salameme adakhat sina ajjalan. Oge loy mowesi.
--- End quote ---
Khaleesi wants-to eat something-different tonight. Slaughter some rabbits.

Could adakhat be in a future tense? Should the word be dakhat in the dictionary? Mowesi looks a lot like plural. Wouldn't that make rabbits animate? I guess we should expect them to be.

--- End quote ---

No, adakhat is one of the officially given words so it simply means "to eat" which also makes sense in this sentence since it's the same form in english.
David confirmed that the word for rabbit is mawizzi so I guess it's the same both in singular and plural.

--- Quote ---Vo mowesi gojina
--- End quote ---
No rabbits ?here?.

As far as I can find, there are no clues about that gojina. Or could jin be the root of the word/expression?

--- End quote ---
It's hard to tell what the word he's saying actaully is. It could easily be something with /ch/, /zh/ or /ch/ instead of /j/ since they seem to be a bit sloppy with the pronounciations. Yes, the word could very easily mean something like "are here" or "are present".

--- Quote ---Ezas loy alegri h'anhaan. Mori allayafi mae, jin alegra.
--- End quote ---
?Find? some ducks ?right?-to-me. Them please zher, those ducks.

I'd think it's likely ezas doesn't mean literally find. It could as well be something like search. What should be our gender neutral pronoun for as-literal-as-possible translations? I find s/he rather ugly. I guess h' could be pretty much anything - and probably it's just preposition helper. What would anhaan mean there without it? Into me?

--- End quote ---

What makes you think it's not literal? I agree it might not be but I have no clue either way. h' is probably a shortened preposition which throws me off a bit. Anhaan is the allative of I so it would mean something like "to me" but it could also be that the preposition that hides behind h' assigns the allative case.

--- Quote ---Chiori tih lo alegri shivikisi? Vo mowesi, vo alegre. Hash tih fikishi nahre yeroon? Hash tih?
--- End quote ---
Woman seen some ducks ?I-wonder? No rabbits, no ducks. Do seeing ?manage? head from-you? Do see?

Apart from Vo mewesi, vo alegre I'm at loss here. Lo is probably the same as previous loy and it would probably mean something more like some  than any. Shivikisi seems superfluous. Tih is a mystery. Is it just to see, tihat? Is it a verb at all?

--- End quote ---
I can understand the confusion with tih. In some cases it is the past tense of tihat but tih also means "eye". That might make it a bit clearer.

--- Quote ---Ma jin jano. Anha rek tih san jani
--- End quote ---
Then this dog. I them see many dogs.

Fine. Apparently san means quite exactly just many, but it's fun to think of it as heaps-of. Ma seems like an exellent little word. A wide range of uses, but seems like easy enough to grasp.

uuuh. Sleep for me now. Sorry for bad english. I'm no linguist, just a curious person. I'm much more into puzzles than into languages. If all the words and grammatics would have been published, I probably wouldn't even try to unlock them - it would seem like too big task to even begin - but now that the information is scarce, this is fun mystery to muse about.

--- End quote ---

I just wrote down the wrong word there. I think she's saying Anha ray tih san jani which would mean "I already saw many dogs".

ingsve:
All dialogue should now be up to date except for the monologue by Illyrio which is almost inaudible and the words that Momoa said that no one knows what they are suppose to mean.

ingsve:
I just uploaded a video with the dialogue from episode 3.

The Dothraki Language - Episode 3 of Game of Thrones

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version