Author Topic: Are there Dothraki words for..  (Read 4993 times)

Mackem

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Are there Dothraki words for..
« on: July 09, 2013, 09:15:53 pm »
I was wondering if there were Dothraki words for the following English words:

"Assassin"
"Blade"
"Blink"
"Storm"
"Charge"

It'd be extremely helpful if someone could tell me if there are Dothraki words for these and what they are.

Thank you.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Are there Dothraki words for..
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 11:44:12 pm »
Some words exist and some would need some creative translating.

First of all the words that exist:

vaz = storm
gorat = to charge, to give the command Charge! would be Gori!
az = blade
lorrat = to blink, again this is the infinitive so depending on the use it would have to be conjugated.

Now there is no word outright for assassin that we know of. If you want to just say "a killer" it would be addrivak. For something like a contract killer you could perhaps say Addrivak athjerari which would be something like "A trading killer". If you want to convey the word assassin as someone who kills in secret then you could perhaps say addrivak torga essheyi which literally means "killer under a roof" but more generally means "secret killer" since the Dothraki believe that things should be done out in the open so things that are done under a roof are secretive.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Mackem

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:40:07 am »
Thanks. I am trying to create an online alias and trying to come up with something related to my favourite book series / TV show without blatantly ripping a characters name.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 01:56:15 pm »
If you want more inspiration check out the vocabulary here:  http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Vocabulary
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly