Author Topic: Hi  (Read 6038 times)

nizzy01

• View Profile
    • my tumblr
Hi
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:15:47 am »
M'ath

I'm Niz. I recently started learning Dothraki, even though I've only actually seen 3 episodes of Game of Thrones, and I haven't read any of the books. My boyfriend knows a little bit of Dothraki, which is why I decided to learn, I'm still not sure why though, he wasn't trying to convince me to learn or anything like that… Once my exams are over in about a month's time, I do plan on watching the entirety of Game of Thrones. Currently I've been using memrise, the wiki, and some youtube tutorials to learn.

I was looking at this forum, and I think it would be cool if there were boards under Dothraki and Valyrian that were just for talking in that language, so all the posts are in whichever language. I think it would be useful to have some practice writing and reading in Dothraki. Words that don't have a translation yet could be put like [this] and people could comment in brackets underneath their writing if they wish to correct a previous person's writing, and that bit could be in english. I don't know if anyone'll think it's a good idea or not, I just think it would be a cool way to learn off each other, but feel free to completely ignore it.

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 02:38:02 pm »
M'athchomaroon, zhey Niz.

Ya. That's a good idea. It's not a new idea and it's not even promising much success, but certainly worth an attempt. If we're lucky, there's another new active around here and add old faces me and perhaps Hrakkar, and we could have a critical mass for such experiment to actually run. How about you throw a thread in Learn Dothraki / Beginners section with a headline along the lines "Conversation in Dothraki - Participate" or something. Start a conversation. I promise to answer :)

It might be prudent to create another thread for corrections and use tags like [corrections welcome] and [heavy corrections welcome] on the main thread, because otherwise corrections might well take most of the space on the thread and I don't want to go full Qvaak-grammarian mode unless someone actually asks for it.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

Khal Esizigo

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 05:43:11 am »
M'ath they Niz.

id throw in to a conversation thread for sure... I gave up on this forum being an every day visit very shortly after joining, but i still check in once a week. Its good to see more people coming to learn.

:)

Im still very much a beginner but what better way to flex our proverbial muscles than in conversation

nizzy01

• View Profile
    • my tumblr
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 01:50:13 pm »
don't worry, I'm very much a beginner too, I've been learning for about a week, and I know about 50 words, but I'm very good at using dictionaries, so hopefully some conversation will be possible

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 10:16:53 pm »
That's a no-brainer! I will add such a thread in both the Dothraki and Valyrian sections!
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)